Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How early do you get up?  (Read 6121 times)

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: How early do you get up?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 02:47:27 pm »
We invested in an automatic door opener - or, as it sometimes referred to: the marriage saver  :D

We live in a housing estate so are conscious of the neighbours, so it's on a timer, and doesn't open until 8am.  It closes about a half hour after dusk, we have to keep an eye on how light it's staying at night and adjust every couple of weeks or so.

By 8am the girls are thumping and calling inside their coop, and we'll either let them out early, or leave them be, depending on when we expect them to lay - if it's likely to be an afternoon lay, they'll be quiet in the morning so it's safe to let them out without disturbing our neighbours  ::)   ;D    

We go to bed early (we're up for work at 5.30ish) so it's really quite funny going to bed and hearing the hens still scratching about, particularly in the summer when they're out to about 11pm

Litl_Deb

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 04:11:59 pm »
I am always keen to go and let them out in the morning, in my dressing gown and wellies sometimes! but rarely before 7am.  They are so keen to get going and enthusiastic about what I have brought them from the kitchen for breakfast.  It is a joy to do every day.  I wonder how guilty I will feel as the summer progresses and dawn gets earlier?  I am glad to hear that some of you are not worried about it.  My ladies have food but not water in the house as they tend to foul it, but perhaps in the summer months when dawn is early, I will put some water in so their wait is not thirsty.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 05:20:48 pm »
I have one of these big dropper drinkers tied up - the sort for caged animals.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 06:27:12 pm »
I'm a dressing gown and wellies lady as soon as the sun rises.......Really glad no one has taken any pictures!!!  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 06:34:34 pm »
Me too - I take a cup of tea out with me, watch the chooks for a while, check the veg and the polytunnel, fill up the sheep water troughs, and just listen to the 'quiet' which is filled with birdsong. I love my mornings - hubby keeps asking me if I want a lie-in - I just can't do it!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 07:28:48 pm »
after the chooks are fed you'll find me with a wee tub turning planks to find slugs and snails - duck snacks  ;D some people walking their dogs were wondering what I was up to in the morning  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS