Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Humidity out of control!  (Read 3846 times)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Humidity out of control!
« on: April 30, 2010, 05:14:49 pm »
I have a very basic incubator - it's automatic inasmuch as it turns the eggs and regulates the temperature, but it doesn't regulate humidity.

I have to put just the tiniest drop of water in and the humidty shoots up to 60%, With no water in, it is 30%.

Hubby thinks I may need to prop the incubator open a very tiny bit - what do you guys think - anyone any experience of this?

I'm about to candle the eggs tonight but I'm not holding out much hope - it's been up and down too much :(

Typically, my BO's have been broody all winter, as soon as I have a decent clutch of eggs, they're not interested! >:(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Humidity out of control!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 05:19:25 pm »
How about trying a spray mister?  Less water and finer droplets.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 05:21:35 pm »
I did think about that, but thought you weren't supposed to get the eggs wet?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 05:29:46 pm »
Can't you aim it into the incubator without wetting the eggs?  I haven't a clue really as I don't have one, but I know you mist the eggs near the end of incubation.  Could you take the eggs out for a couple of minutes while you spray then put them back in?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 05:48:25 pm »
You need to increase humidity towards the end of incubation so I'll be OK with my tiny drop of water in the water thray then!

It would be a real faff to take them all out each day to spray.

I'm wondering if there is such a thing as an incubator that actually regulates the humidity - bet it's costly if there is!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 05:55:17 pm »
60% is better than 30. try damp/wet kitchen towel. you can then take bits off until the right level. don't leave it open. that could wreck the hatch.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 06:09:30 pm »
years ago I made my own incubator . It had 3 trays and took about 200 or so pheasant eggs per tray . The heat was supplied by a row of light bulbs fixed on a board with the light part placed in holes ,cut in the side of a pipe made out of empty tin cans . Above this I made a tray to take a small amount of water ( like the old paraffin greenhouse heaters) , I used a thin layer of sponge to help prevent water getting tipped everywhere.
 The heat was controlled by adding  or subtracting light bulbs from the rack , till I found out the number needed in watts .
The water, I just kept it moist but not wet . In this incy I hatched hundreds and  hundreds of chicken , guinea fowl , quail , ducks ,  geese, peacocks and thousands of pheasants . It cost me about £5 to make ....( it was 30 odd years ago ) out of a couple of sheets of ply and some 2"x 1" , a few light bulb holders , and a few other bits and bobs I had laying around .
 It worked perfectly , apart from I had to turn the eggs by hand . The thermometer was an old fish tank one and I never had anything to test the humidity.
 A tray of some kind with a bit of sponge/old towel, would provide enough moisture .

hope that sort of helps ....?  ::)

cheers

Russ

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 06:13:32 pm »
Thanks Russ - This one holds 16 eggs!!  :D

There is a water tray in there - maybe I'll try a bit of sponge or kitchen towel in it instead of just pouring it in - thanks guys - although we'll see if I need to continue after I've candled them later!

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 08:35:00 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have 11 (out of 16) viable eggs!

I have put a piece of kitchen paper in the water tray and will keep an eye on the humidity - thanks for all your advice - we'll see how the next 10 days go now!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 08:39:38 pm »
wow, congratulations - that's not a bad batting average!  Almost 69% if they all hatch.  (yes, I know, don't count etc etc......................) ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS