Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb not quite right  (Read 1919 times)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Lamb not quite right
« on: April 15, 2016, 07:25:09 pm »
17 day old lamb not quite right. I just put them in for the night (rogue terriers about!) and she is standing hunched and quiet. Its been raining this afternoon but she had taken herself in out of the rain and she is dry and doesn't feel cold.
Seems daft to ring the out of hours vet out just because she's not quite right, but not sure what to do. She's not bloated and she put up a good fight when I checked her over. Not scouring at all. But looks rather fed up.
Anyone with a crystal ball, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Lamb not quite right
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 07:50:28 pm »
Is she with her dam and does her tummy feel full?  How long before lambing did her dam have her Heptavac booster?  Have you taken her temperature?

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 07:56:13 pm »
Yes she's with her dam and brother.
Tummy feels full but not bloaty.
Mum had Heptavac P Plus 4 weeks prior to lambing.
Haven't taken her temp.
Just heading back out to frown at her.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 01:06:19 pm »
Probably just got cold and will be fine.  If not, a jag of Combivit will do no harm and may set her right.  Otherwise why not take her to the vet?  Your intuition that something's amiss is probably right.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 01:10:46 pm »
She seems much better today, if still a little hunched. She's feeding well and took part in the lamb races with the others this morning. Will keep and eye and pop her to the vets tomorrow if she's not right.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS