Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sulphur for chorioptic mange?  (Read 2904 times)

Redjellybean301

• Joined Feb 2016
Sulphur for chorioptic mange?
« on: March 21, 2016, 09:52:56 pm »
Hi there!

One of my pygmy goats has suspected chorioptic mange.  He has been on ivermectin sc every 7 days for almost a month with only a slight improvement.

Our vet suggested getting a sulphur based dip treatment.  However, all I can find online is people discussing treating sheep/horses etc with a sulpur dip, and nothing selling it, or a brand name, or how much to apply.

Can anyone point me to a specific product, or to instructions of where to buy sulphur and what to do with it?

Thank you.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Sulphur for chorioptic mange?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 06:12:06 am »
Eprinex (cattle) pour-on.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 08:16:51 am »
http://www.shireoil.com/Home  These people sell sulphur to mix or own or ready mixed.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 09:54:17 am »
http://www.shireoil.com/Home  These people sell sulphur to mix or own or ready mixed.

IE pig oil and sulphur. Brilliant stuff. For a pygmy goat you might as well mix your own as 5 litres will take a while to get through (if ever!) The pig oil is another name for liquid paraffin which you can get from a chemist, along with the sulphur - sold as flowers of sulphur.
You can also buy larger quantities from agricultural suppliers.

I buy the liquid paraffin (pig oil) and sulphur separately and mix my own, in a ratio of something like a desertspoonful of sulphur to a pint of oil. (It's not that critical.) It has many uses and I've found it effective also for red mite in poultry (treat the perches) and sweet itch in equines.   
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:57:41 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 03:51:01 pm »
Robinsons Equestrian do pig oil, pig oil spray and pig oil and sulphur in smaller quantities.

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 08:54:07 am »
I used flower of sulphur (ebay) and udder cream mixed together to make a paste. Plastered it on and wrapped the leg in a tail bandage.  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS