Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tree protectors for area of sheep grazing  (Read 9017 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
Tree protectors for area of sheep grazing
« on: March 20, 2016, 10:10:37 pm »
Has anyone any cheap innovative ideas to protect young trees to be planted from sheep .Wanted to avoid  knocking fencing posts in and chestnut fencing  because it's hard work and I would need to hire some one with tractor .And I would probably need to find a whole days work for him and that would be a lot of trees I would end up having to plant.
I realize I've left it a bit late this year...but if I can get the fencing sorted out..trees can go in this winter.
My landscape according to my local authority is estate farmland....but that hasn't stopped them building a 45ft warehouse across the field from me...which is why I need to plant the trees .

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: Tree protectors for area of sheep grazing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 08:24:24 pm »
I presume the trees are going to be in a row?

Double stock fence the whole stretch and plant some hedging in-betwwen the trees while you wait for the trees to grow?

Cant think of an easy way to protect trees and plants - I have mostly given up growing anything but grass. Damn sheep, cruddy fences.

Barry

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 09:54:30 pm »
Trees are not going in a row....more of a random pattern.Did look at those metal tree protectors the NT use but they cost £90 each.Have contacted my fencing guy with the tractor and he's put me on his list.Have plenty of posts so I thought he could knock them in randomly over 8 acres and then use pig netting or chestnut.I do begrudge the loss of grazing..but the trees will be paid for by T & W Council as part of planning consent.The sheep have damaged a blackthorn hedge this winter.Have lost trees to horses in the past (rented land out..never again)
Looking at my fields now I am lucky to have quite a few oaks which self seeded some 40 years ago when the land was left to form scrub for many years.

lars64

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 03:19:24 pm »
Weld mesh tree protectors like this?

http://www.green-tech.co.uk/products/rural-tree-soft-landscaping/weld-and-mesh-tree-guard/weld-mesh-tree-guard-1

quite pricey still, but I recon you could make them yourself for less than half that price.

You'll probably still need to knock in a 2" stake though.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 07:58:55 pm »
our trees had a plastic spiral and were tied to a stake, not a post, with cable ties.

lars64

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 11:42:31 am »
I wouldn't use spirals for protecting against sheep myself, they just munch everything they can reach above the spirals (ask me how I know!). You need a taller guard that allows a bit of foliage lower down so that the sheep can't get to it. I haven't used the weld mesh guards yet myself, I've just put a stock fence around trees. Of course that doesn't work in the OP's case, where he has individual trees, not an area set aside for trees.

I'll be trying some home made weld mesh guards later in the year as I have some individual trees planted in a largish (8 acre) field. The aim is to give the animals some "natural" shade on a hot summer's day. A long term project of course!

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 11:56:59 am »
Weld mesh tree protectors like this?

http://www.green-tech.co.uk/products/rural-tree-soft-landscaping/weld-and-mesh-tree-guard/weld-mesh-tree-guard-1

quite pricey still, but I reckon you could make them yourself for less than half that price.

You'll probably still need to knock in a 2" stake though.

I use that type but you still need strong stakes because sheep (and big rams in particular) can seriously push when they start rubbing against them.

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 02:01:18 pm »
Given that these trees will probably need protecting for many years...I am resigned to having a proper job done.I do like the chestnut fencing...looks countryfide and it can easily be tied to posts...I am guessing they would just climb up pig netting to nibble at leaves.
I have an old metal bin from the council(before the plastic) and that's quite effective protection.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 10:08:29 pm »
Would a triangle of stakes with two rows of rails around them be any good , say the stakes five foot long knocked in to 18 inches deep with the rails 10 foot long made of cut saplings.
The sapling being smack bang in the centre of the triangle of stakes . That way it would be a post and two rails cheaper than a square enclosure .
 I guess you still need to use a plastic wrap around tree guard to help stop the rabbits & hares stripping or eating the saplings
 If you notice any damage use cheap 22 mesh chicken or sheep stock wire round the outside of the rails and staple it in place .

Hmm,
 just had an alternative thought , how many of the black Dalek compost bins will your local authority sell you at residents rates.  I've got seven for a tenner each delivered . two long stakes walloped inside  from opposite sides ,following the angle of the sides should hold them in place or perhaps use three equal spaced stakes instead .
Then drill  and tie each bin to each stake to keep them in place on windy days.
If you think that the bins are too dark , use a hole saw in a power drill to put a couple of dozen evenly spaced two inch dia holes in the sides so it looks even more Dalek like .

I guess it all depends on the money available  .

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 12:42:11 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 09:31:19 pm »
I did  try using the compost bin as a hay dispensor for the sheep...they just tipped it over.,,before I decided it was a useful tree guard.

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 09:21:30 am »
Don't bother. Get tree safe Shropshire sheep.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 02:15:19 pm »
cheapest is to use galv fencing piece.  just bend around tree making sure you have a wide circle.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS