Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weak lamb  (Read 2622 times)

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
Weak lamb
« on: March 19, 2016, 06:11:49 pm »
Hi

This year's lambing has been mainly good, but has finished on a real low.

Our last ewe is a first timer and was due next week.  I noticed her eating and bleating at the same time and realised something was up.  Found a small ram lamb abandoned and cold (still wet from birth and not really cleaned).  Managed to warm him up and fed him colostrum formula (ewe doesn't seem to have much in her teats).  He is struggling to stand up properly, but is trying.  Is that normal?

The ewe also seems to be having trouble shedding the placenta. Is this also normal?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  :sheep:

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Weak lamb
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 07:33:18 pm »
They can take some time to get going if they got chilled to start. Keep feeding him colostrum frequently tonight, it's important they get fed little and often to keep warm. Make sure he doesn't get cold again, heat lamp or hot water bottles may be needed, or even in the house for first night if very cold.
Afterbirth can take some hours to pass but if not gone by 12-48 hrs or the ewe is unwell at any time, ask your vet for advice.

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 08:16:04 pm »
 :wave:

Thank you for the reply.  He's been indoors (mainly asleep on our sofa) and I expect we shall keep him in all night.  At the moment, I keep trying to wake him up each hour or so for a feed.

Ewe still hasn't passed the afterbirth, but its only been around 8-10 hours and she seems to be well in herself.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 08:50:50 pm »
on the sofa!  haha I thought I was being soft having one in the kitchen.  Think photo required please???

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 08:58:38 pm »
My OH spent our goat kid's first night with her in front of fire, mostly with her in his arms in armchair! 5 hours before her temperature registered (thermometer reads as low as 32C!). She got fed every 1-2hrs, so sounds like you're doing just fine. Puddle's now doing just fine at 2 weeks old and back with mum.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 09:00:26 pm »
Ps with the after birth, she may eat it while you're not looking, so only need to worry if there's a smell, discharge, something hanging out back end or she seems unwell/off food etc.

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 09:44:32 pm »
You do whatever you have to help and get them warm. Do you know if the lamb drank at all? If he didn't you could try catching her and milk  a little out if it doesn't stress her too much. Sometimes if you milk some out it sort of triggers their body or brains to clear out the after birth.  Or just wait she will clean herself ,but like fsmnutter said it might have fell out and she ate it.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 10:49:14 am »
Milk her, which will stimulate production and shedding the afterbirth.  Put the lamb in a jacket and get someone to hold it under her nose while you milk, which will help bonding and may stimulate milk let down.

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 11:45:59 am »
Unfortunately, little ram didn't make it.  He survived over night and we had rung the vets at 8am to see if they could give us any advice/treatments. By the time she had finished the job she was on and could get back to us, he had just passed.  :'( :'(

At least I feel I did my best, with the help of you guys.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 11:51:37 am »
So sorry Raine  :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS