Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: any Views welcome (for my project)  (Read 1305 times)

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
any Views welcome (for my project)
« on: March 18, 2016, 10:15:02 am »
for my project i am doing an investigation into the use of EBV's by sheep breeders and would like to ask if anyone has any views on this topic, all discussion is greatly appreciated. i have already handed out and returned a questionnaire but would like peoples personal opinions on the matter.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: any Views welcome (for my project)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 10:58:52 am »

Been using BLUP for 25+ years so have some views (backed up with raw data)
What do you want to know?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 11:23:20 am »
Bought a ram one year to see if high EBV's made any difference.  None at all that I could see.  I run rare and traditional breeds and, provided the conformation is good and feet sound, healthy pedigree rams are what I want.  Slower finishing is fine with me.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 12:15:28 pm »
Haven't had any experience using them with sheep, but we certainly do take them into account when buying bulls and bull semen.

If they were widely used in Texel-land, I'd be urging BH to take note of them.  Small lambs at birthing and fast growth rates is what I want!  Not these socking great tanks of lambs - they're all very impressive, maybe, but it wears their mothers out carrying the two of them around for the last few weeks. 

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS