Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worming  (Read 3501 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
worming
« on: April 29, 2010, 06:47:00 pm »
i know i have brought this subject up before but i just wana make sure on this.
milly and molly has a massive paddock/pen in which they are in during the day time.
they have brambles, hedges etc all around the perimeter and grass here and there growing.
ground surface is mainly gravel chippings etc.
on ground like this how often do they need worming.
Langdon ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: worming
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:41:28 pm »
after what's happened to me today I will always err on the side of caution I think. I wormed mine 2 days ago, the vet was explaining about them eating grass and their poo being on that grass so the cycle of poo/worm/eating/poo etc continues so they need worming.  :goat:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:46:09 pm »
You need to ask a vet about worming goats as there is no registered goat wormer. He will advise on the best sheep wormer for your goats and milk withdrawel etc.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 10:02:30 pm »
I know its expensive, but get a stool sample analysed before you worm. There are different (sheep) wormers out there, and your vet should avise on which one to use (depends on what worms there are), some are by injection (Ivermectins) and others by mouth (Panacur, or white drenches)). Goat dose is about 1.5 times sheep dose if I remember correctly. But if their stools are clear, don't worm, otheriwse they will just become resistant (the worms that is).

There are lots of people out there who don't worm ever, if your land did not have sheep or goats on it for more than a year and you wormed your goats on arrival (or even better on leaving their previous holding), then you should keep them in for a few days anyway, and they should be worm free on coming onto clean pasture. If no movements on/off take place, no sheep etc come in - no worms!

Only one to watch our for is fluke if your pasture is wet. But can be done with the same stool sample at the same time as normal worm count.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 11:03:22 pm »
I use panacur wormer the same as the horses have. My vet said  that was safe to use on them.  I have just wormed the llama and sheep with the verm x pellets.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 11:25:55 pm »
You need to ask a vet about worming goats as there is no registered goat wormer. He will advise on the best sheep wormer for your goats and milk withdrawel etc.

The majority of products aren't licensed for goats. Including blue tongue vaccine, which is why they couldn't make it complusary to vaccine goats.

If your goats aren't actually eating much grass, you may not need to worm too often. But I do agree with Anke, if you are doubtful, get a sample examined.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS