Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tagging lambs  (Read 21896 times)

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
Re: Ear tagging lambs
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2016, 08:21:21 pm »
I tag before they go out in the field. One reason is they're easier to do properly when they're small. I can keep accurate pedigree and flock records. Tags don't wash off or smudge. There is a better chance of identification if they're stolen or decide to go for a wander. (won't be the first time)!!

Bywaters

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 10:09:39 pm »
thanks

Only got grade 5 for English and that was many many years ago !

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 10:55:27 pm »
I tag at four weeks before their sprayed on number gets too faded. I need to gather birth, eight and twenty one week weights for the breed programme so need to know exactly who is who and their genealogy.

I have never noticed any severe effects doing this.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2016, 10:57:15 am »
At the lambing course I did at our local agricultural college we were taught to ear tag before turning out in the field, so that's what I've been doing. I usually band the ram lambs and ear tag at the same time - about 2-3 days old. (I don't dock their tails as they are Shetlands).  It's true that their ears are very small, but it honestly doesn't seem to bother them -  a shake of the head occasionally but usually they don't react at all. Having recently had my own ears re-pierced I imagine it feels a bit like that, which was a strong localised pressure, not actual pain. You do have to be very careful to avoid the cartilage and imo you shouldn't do it unless you've been shown how.

Since the little rams have to be banded before they're a week old I prefer to do these operations in one go before turnout saves having to get the lambs back in after a few days -  the hassle of separating the ones that need 'doing' and the stress to the mothers seems worse to me than dealing with them earlier.

I was going to ask advice about a ewe lamb who has already lost 2 tags and now has a rip in one ear, thanks to her brother who keeps chewing on it. I expect I'll get told that I shouldn't have tagged her at such a young age ... anyway, I am going to wait now until she's older and has bigger ears before I re-tag, no problem identifying her as she's the only one with no tag.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2016, 12:23:28 pm »
you cannot use last years tags on this years lambs
why is this? We only had 4 lambs last year and had to buy 10 sets of tags (minimum order). Can we not use the remaining 6 sets of tags then?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2016, 12:46:56 pm »
If your just talking about normal eid tags then yes  just keep using them until gone then buy more , was the quote for pedigree tags that have a year letter

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2016, 02:09:09 pm »
you cannot use last years tags on this years lambs
why is this? We only had 4 lambs last year and had to buy 10 sets of tags (minimum order). Can we not use the remaining 6 sets of tags then?
The post you quoted was from 2010, so perhaps they were talking about non-EID - now absolutely fine to keep using your tags until they've gone.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2016, 03:41:51 pm »
I do the same as Daleswoman.  And would be interested in some fact based responses (rather than opinion) on the pain aspect:   I understand (believe rather than know) that the basis of docking and band castration by 7 days was because there is a degree of natural anaesthetic associated with birth that reduces the pain felt in the first few days.  It is for that reason, along with simplicity that I take mine at the same time then turn out.  Is this correct?

PipSqueak

• Joined Apr 2014
  • South West Carmarthenshire
    • Black Orchard
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 01:19:22 pm »
There is some information on the pain caused by docking and castration in the bottom half of this NADIS article:  http://www.nadis.org.uk/bulletins/lambing/lambing-part-6-–-fostering,-docking-and-castration.aspx

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2016, 06:04:08 pm »
Trouble is it only refer to a 'wealth of evidence'. Where is the evidence?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2016, 08:05:45 pm »
If your just talking about normal eid tags then yes  just keep using them until gone then buy more , was the quote for pedigree tags that have a year letter

That's the problem with resurrecting an old thread I guess!

We're going to have the same problem with out of date pedigree year letters sooner or later, as the tags arrive in batches of ten, but lambs don't! My plan is to gently melt the pedigree numbers off using a soldering iron, then apply those tags to animals that don't make the grade for pedigree registration. Is there any reason why we can't do this do you think?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

PipSqueak

• Joined Apr 2014
  • South West Carmarthenshire
    • Black Orchard
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2016, 08:27:23 pm »

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2016, 07:33:49 am »
Thanks PipSqueak. I've worked on human pain medication data which is hard enough to dicipher. This is even harder so it is back to 'did it look painful'. I am inclined to carry on with the ear tagging when I do the docking, generally they seem to get up and walk away quite unperturbed.  I am trying to see if keeping my meat lambs uncastrated works this year.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 08:26:35 am »
Just got this year's tags from Fearings

£26 to tag eleven lambs. Hey ho. The costs of small scale farming. At least I don't have to fork out for a pair of pliers this time.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2016, 08:39:10 am »
Suziequeue is that because you are buying pedigree numbered ones each year?  I keep pedigree goats that manage perfectly well on the normal numbering system and pedigree sheep that insists on the flock number and year letter. Personally I find the latter a bit old fashioned and troublesome as you need new tags each year and since all the info is on grass roots seems unnecessary.  Isn't it time the breed societies got a bit more pragmatic about this? 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS