Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moving pens and mud baths  (Read 2162 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Moving pens and mud baths
« on: April 28, 2010, 07:06:42 pm »
Hi

Does anyone else keep their hens in a moveable run? My MIL has been banging on at me about how chickens needs to have dry dirt available so they can roll about in it, and has put a bowl in the run full of dirt for them. Do they really 'need' dirt baths - and does anyone else with a moveable pen provide one?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Moving pens and mud baths
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 07:55:29 pm »
Yes they do need a dustbath to clean themselves of lice etc. They usually dig their own in a grass run but if yours is on a wire base they need to be provided with one.It will keep them happy and clean.

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 08:42:34 pm »
It doesnt have a wire base, but we are moving it every 2 days so does this give them enough time to dig their own?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 09:31:18 pm »
My meat birds have been in a new large run for just over a week and have just got a couple of baths dug out now. Around the large free range hut it looks like the surface of the moon.They do like to get in them and rub the soil into their feathers and must get a bit stressed not being able to. A bit like us having dirty teeth and never being able to brush them.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 09:33:46 pm »
Mine are free range so create their own dust baths, but a friend has a staic pen and gives them a large cat litter tray filled with the sand you can buy for chinchillas - they love it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS