Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How early do you get up?  (Read 6122 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
How early do you get up?
« on: April 28, 2010, 08:49:02 pm »
Hi

Do chickens have to be let out at first light?

The OH lets ours out on his way to work at 6ish and at weekends I do it when I wake up at 7 - but we are off on our jollies this week and our neighbour will be letting them out for us, at nearer to 9. Will this upset them and mess up their laying do you think?

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: How early do you get up?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:04:54 pm »
I usually let mine out at 7am. Occasionally I will have the rare treat of a lie-in and then I'm late letting them out - doesn't seem to affect their laying - they come out at  great speed though and look a bit cross but they soon settle when they've got some food!  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 10:05:38 pm »
Mine get let out when I have taken out my house dogs adn fed them and me - can be anytime from 7 am on a show day to 10 am if I am feeling lazy.  I've never actually asked them if they mind having long lies  ;) ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 10:17:50 pm »
don't worry, they'll be fine I'm sure.
ours dont have a definite time for anything and don't seem to mind too much.
I reakon if you have a strict routine its a rod for your own back, as when things don't go to plan, they'll just complain!
Little Blue

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 10:20:26 pm »
9is is pretty normal for us, ours always have both water and food in their houses when we put them away, I have left them as late as 10 am however feel uneasy and guilty and would never leave them in that long if the weather is warm,, I find it gets quite hot in their house.
juliag

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 11:09:30 pm »
I sort out my animals at 8.00ish. After three buckets of coffee ;) The chooks all have food and water in their huts. The ducks I leave till last,about 9.00ish to try and catch as many eggs as I can.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 09:37:55 am »
7 a.m. It's the kids first, then the chickens, then the ducks... :&>
The ducks get the same treatment as Hermit's or I'll have to find the eggs all over the garden. The broody ones are bad enough! the chickens stay in their run until 10ish or they'd eat all the ducks' food!! :chook: :&>

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 09:53:42 am »
I dont shut them in anymore as they go to bed later than me! so when I get up at 7 they are all doing their own thing anyway!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 10:03:42 am »
we round them up around 10 at night. Once they are reminded where their bed is they tend to go in. It's tempting but not safe to leave them out where we are, the foxes across the road would love to have a free midnight feast... :&>

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 10:14:41 am »
I used to shut them in, we do have foxes nearby but our dogs live out so the foxes dont tend to come into the field where the chickens are, they stay in the back field, oh dear I've probably spoken too soon now :o

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 01:02:39 pm »
oh, our chickens go to bed by themselves, we just have to shut the door. It's the ducks that love to roam the garden endlessly to catch moths in the twilight  ;D. With your dogs you should be safe enough, we just have a cat and she's useless as a fox deterrent as she spends all night inside  ;D :&>

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 07:23:49 pm »
Well they've been safe since we got them 4 years ago, I leave them out in the summer but shut them in, in the winter, longer nights so more hours for foxy to strike! But they go to bed so late, I just cant stay up that long!!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 07:49:04 pm »

I usually let mine out about 8ish, ducks first so they get peace to eat then hens, well actually the ducks in the hen run don't go in at the moment
they used to but now that it is lighter they won't. The ducks in the yard go in about 9-9.30, same time as the hens.
Anne

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 09:45:19 pm »
We invested in an automatic door opener and closer  :D its FAB  :D It was ok during the winter when it didn't get light until 7 but as dawn has got earlier and earlier, and dusk later and later the auto door closer has been a lifesaver.
The coop opens just after first light, but the hens are still in the run - I then go and top up their food but leave them in the run until about 8.30 - gives the dogs a chance to have their breakfast in peace!
After they have had free range of the field all day I get them back in the run at about 5pm, then the door closer does the business at dusk (dark dusk) - I make sure all hens are in but to date they have taken themselves inside the coop about 25 mins before the door shuts.
You can adjust the sensitivity of the light sensor to open/shut earlier or later if needed.

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 01:18:46 pm »
we let ours out at 8 - last weekend we left them to 9.30 and they were not bothered.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS