Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Mid-Wales  (Read 3459 times)

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
Hello from Mid-Wales
« on: April 28, 2010, 08:35:12 pm »
Hi,
We are due to complete on the purchase of 14 acres of land next week. It's something we've been trying to do for years but the closer it gets the more scared I am! Planning to have a huge polytunnel and a forest garden, plus chickens, pigs and some sheep. Will start off with the veggies straight away but not really sure what to go with next - can't afford to get everything all at once even though we'd love to. Any advice greatly appreciated!
 ;D

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Hello from Mid-Wales
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:01:05 pm »
Hi Susie

We're on the other side of the Welsh Border (only just!) in Ross-on-Wye and we have three acres - we have chickens, sheep and hopefully pigs soon, plus a mini polytunnel, and my lawn has been sacrificed for a veggie patch!

We've only been here since december - my advice would be not to try and do too much too soon - the dream will evolve slowly. Chickens are quite straghtforward to start with if you have identified an area for them - nothing like your own fresh eggs!

Good luck with it all and keep popping back here - everyone is so very helpful - there really is no such thing as a silly question on here! ;D

Sharon

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 10:09:16 pm »
Hi and welcome to TAS!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 10:13:39 pm »
hello and welcome
just ask anything...  !
Little Blue

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 11:27:06 pm »

Hi and welcome from The Scottish Borders, would agree chickens are a good place to start. I think where you go next depends on your land and the state of your fencing. I thought mine was ok till my shetland sheep arrived and I spent days rounding them up and bringing them back home.
It all takes time though and money so take your time and enjoy it.
Anne

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 02:32:44 am »
Hi and welcome from Australia.

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 07:55:00 am »
Hello from me in South Lanarkshire  :wave:
Chickens are definately the best place to start - really easy, don't take up much time, space or cash.
Like Daisy's mum has said take time checking out your fencing (especially if you're considering pigs) and doing a bit lot of planning before getting anything else - it's much easier to redraw plans than it is to move pigs  ;)
Good luck and keep us posted with developments
Karen x

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 09:18:57 am »
Hello and welcome from Devon  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Touchwood

• Joined Nov 2009
    • http://touchwoodcraft.webs.com/
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 09:58:27 am »
Hi Susie  :wave:  and welcome from Carmarthenshire
Check out http://touchwoodcraft.webs.com/ for environmentally friendly crafts.

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 10:50:58 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I think we'll definitely start with chickens then. Feel much more excited and less overwhelmed about focussing on one thing first. We have to fence all the land within one month of purchase as a condition of the sale - and loads of it is unfenced. ::) But at least we know that when we're ready for the sheep in the future the fencing will be there ready and waiting.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 10:53:44 am »
Do they specify what type of fencing?  If not, the quickest and cheapest is post and wire - just two or three strands.  You can then add stock wire fencing as and when you need it
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 12:29:55 pm »
Hellooooooooooooooooo  :wave:, from Clackmannan......not land, only a back garden and chickens  :D

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 02:21:46 pm »
Hi,

It specifically says we have to provide stockproof fencing and maintain it forever and ever (words to that effect anyway). Have been quoted £4 per metre. Does that sound right?

Thanks

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 02:32:34 pm »
Hi there we will be following your exploits with interest as we are in a similar situation! Simon

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 07:37:40 pm »

Susie £4 a metre sounds ok to me I paid £5
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS