Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Urgent - poorly duck  (Read 6740 times)

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Urgent - poorly duck
« on: March 16, 2016, 07:58:40 pm »
Hi all,

We purchased three Indian Runner ducks at the weekend and upon getting home noticed one was having trouble standing and would flop about. We isolated it in a quiet area of the pen and gave it access to water and feed.

It seemed to get a bit better but then today has taken a turn for the worse and is arching its neck and twisting its head around. I dont think it will see through the night.

I have antibiotics (sulobenol) I will give it and have brought it indoors in a cardboard box.

Anythingelse I should try ?  The other two ducks are doing very well.

HomefieldHens

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Scottish Borders
Re: Urgent - poorly duck
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 08:20:33 pm »
I would worm them all with flubenvet. We use the layers pellets with flubenvet already added for our runners & chooks - Marriages I think is the company. Its available online with next day delivery.

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 08:52:24 am »
Update:

Duck survived the night and I've been syringing water to her every so often. I noticed some food pellets in her mouth so she may be eating as well. Have dosed with metronidazole and sulobenol.

The most worrying thing is the very twisted neck and the way she holds it down to the side.

Fingers crossed she starts to improve.

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 08:55:40 am »
I would worm them all with flubenvet. We use the layers pellets with flubenvet already added for our runners & chooks - Marriages I think is the company. Its available online with next day delivery.

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully the solubenol (active ingredient is Flubendazole same as flubenvet) will have an effect. Would you dose all new ducks and chooks as a matter of course ? We have always raised ours from egg so its new to us buying them in.

HomefieldHens

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 09:49:14 am »
We raised ours from eggs too but I've read that it's good practice to worm all new stock. One of ours was v unwell a few weeks ago, we were convinced she wouldn't make it - she was head shaking & sleepy, off her food. We wormed all our birds & she gradually recovered- she is now running around bossing the others around & laying daily. Fingers crossed yours recovers ok.

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 11:47:57 am »
Thats excellent news.

We did think it was just a strain caused by the cages at the auction but the progression seems to be into this twisted neck symptom. I will give her vitamin rich water and keep treating. I will also treat the others with sulobenol.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 08:38:28 pm »
Good to hear it seems to be on the mend, fingers crossed.

Could it be gapeworm?

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 11:11:08 pm »
Good to hear it seems to be on the mend, fingers crossed.

Could it be gapeworm?

She doesn't sound wheezy or coughing. Just holding neck at really awkward angle. Gave her a bath and she seemed to enjoy but had to support neck. Would a broken or fractured neck joint be obvious ?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 11:19:41 pm »
I had a duck with that - it was a stroke and she died a couple of days later. Not saying it's the same as yours but maybe you need your vet's advice?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 07:29:17 pm »
I think I will bring her into the vet if she is still alive but poorly next few days. No need for her to suffer if its terminal.

Thanks for all your help.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 08:39:01 pm »
Might be wry neck.

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 11:23:15 am »
Well poorly duck seems to be improving. I had written her off but kept on the antibiotics and wormer course. Her neck is still twisted but not as bad and I put her in with the other runners yesterday and she went for a bath and was moving about (albeit in an awkward manner).

Fingers crossed.

HomefieldHens

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 12:28:45 pm »
Awh thats fab news!  :thumbsup:

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 09:21:43 pm »
Well poorly ducks neck was totally back to normal and she seemed to be enjoying freedom again with her pals but the last few days it seems her eyes are very runny and she is looing a but worse again.

Someone recommended vetericyn spray for her eyes and cider vinegar ? Worth a go ? Anything else for eye infections or could it be respiratory ? She sounds fine.

Thanks for the help again !

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 12:52:27 am »
I had something very like this with a hen of mine and it turned out that she was having a stroke, luckily my brother knew what to do and bled her a little, it saved her life and because of that she recovered. I hope it was just worms and not a stroke. Tell me does she hold her head to the side at all after that?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS