Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blowfly season  (Read 2674 times)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Blowfly season
« on: March 16, 2016, 03:01:27 pm »
Ok so yes it is early to start talking about this but with this warmer snap will they come out earlier of is they're season time activated, if that makes any sense, am a bit pooped a la lambing.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Blowfly season
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 03:02:21 pm »
Or not of, couldn't edit, on glitchy iPad :innocent:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 06:22:19 pm »
Yes I would say that it is rather early for blowfly, especially as after these next couple of weeks who knows whether there will be a cold snap or not?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 08:36:15 pm »
Well we ll be armed n ready to go when ever, but I just been thinking about it all, am rather obsessed about it  :yuck:   :thinking:

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 08:46:15 pm »
Well we ll be armed n ready to go when ever, but I just been thinking about it all, am rather obsessed about it  :yuck:   :thinking:

Better get some shedders then  ;)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 09:25:49 am »
Ahh don't need shedders Tim, we rarely get it and thats because I'm obsessed with spraying for  it, don't take much for me to get that clik out.  Just very interested as to whether they're breeding season will change ??

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 10:28:06 am »
I Clik the lambs when I see more than six greenbottles in a day.  I keep the ewes dagged and watch them closely, hoping fervently that the flies don't kick in until after shearing.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 11:21:48 am »
 :thumbsup:  Very much agree Marches, Ive just had new prescription specs, sturdy cheap ones (blind as a bat, usually have to rely on Baz s good vision) so I shall be super sharp on finding the nasty green back this year.

Some dude wrote last year about getting in very early at them and so limiting the colony in your area for the coming season, interesting theory. 

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 01:16:06 pm »
:thumbsup:  Very much agree Marches, Ive just had new prescription specs, sturdy cheap ones (blind as a bat, usually have to rely on Baz s good vision) so I shall be super sharp on finding the nasty green back this year.

Some dude wrote last year about getting in very early at them and so limiting the colony in your area for the coming season, interesting theory.
How do you do that though? I thought it would be pretty difficult to try and desimate the population, as they don't nest do they?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 05:42:12 pm »
I ll have a look for the write up I saw it on  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS