Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chronic Fluke  (Read 1526 times)

Imafluffybunny

• Joined Aug 2014
Chronic Fluke
« on: March 16, 2016, 01:42:11 am »
I have just lost my favourite ewe to chronic fluke  :'(
(Confirmed by PM)
We have never had an issue with fluke before so this came as a surprise. All sheep have been routinely dosed for fluke and this particular ewe was given an extra dose 2 weeks ago as she had lost weight and I was covering all bases.
I have lost a number of lambs this year too which is not normal for us, born dead or if born alive they were very small and weak and haven't lasted very long.
Got the vet in to do blood tests etc and the ewe died right when he arrived.
Anyway... My question is, none of my other ewes apart from one have lost weight or are showing signs of being unwell apart from losing lambs, what are the chances of them making a full recovery from the fluke? They have all been given a dose of flukiver and a multi vit, they are well fed and the ewes with lambs have been moved onto fresh decent grazing.
Can I do anything else?

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Re: Chronic Fluke
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 09:45:05 am »
So sorry your having a bad time  :hug: What area are you in  as a local farmer here told me  the vet said fluke is bad this year for everyone due to the amount of rain we have had.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS