Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: moving pigs and sheep  (Read 2604 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
moving pigs and sheep
« on: April 27, 2010, 10:31:30 pm »
just realised i dont know the answer to this.  we have 2 pigs that will be going to slaughter very soon.  they are on my friends land over the road but registered to our CPH number.  She has soay sheep and if no-one wants her ram, she is planning to take him to the abbatoir in 2 weeks time.  he is in the same field as the pigs, though no-where near them.

so my question is:  are there rules around when we can/can't move the pigs in relation to the tup?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: moving pigs and sheep
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 12:52:18 am »
Firstly i would treat your pigs across the road as being on tack, so would fill in a movement form for your initial placing of them there (unless you havent done that already)  this would then be in your records and your friends.  then fill out a movement for theyre journey to the slaughtrerhouse.  Your friend woud then just fill out her own for he own  movement.Im sure theres a rue about not being to move other stock off the holding within at least 5 days between each movement, or similar.  (or maybe that s just about stock movement in and out lol  ;D )

:)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:53:56 am by Hellybee »

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 03:45:07 pm »
See the other post about movements - i have type the drivel from DEFRA onto that one!

Basic gist is if they are going to slaughter you are fine

matt286bay

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 06:43:13 pm »
what is tack you refer to...

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 06:55:54 pm »

Tack means "taken from or by one farmer to graze on another farmer’s fields" so it is the same as grass keep.

As for the 5 mile rule  - it no longer applies this year.  You MUST complete a movement everytime you move anything anywhere - it is the bane of my life at the moment!  Even when I move sheep across the road onto the rented land and even more stupidly when I open one of gates and let the sheep into the adjoining field I should complete a movement license.

Even worse than that...once your sheep are electronically identified you will need to record each animal on each movement which is ok if you haev 10-20 sheep but once you up the numbers it is going to be such arse!  Please excuse the language!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS