Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farming on TV  (Read 6650 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Farming on TV
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 06:36:24 pm »
My favourite farming couple are the hill farmers george and sybil, I really love their way of life and how they struggle through it all.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 07:39:48 pm »
I am enjoying the programme and so is my daughter which is great but I can't say I enjoyed watching 'jumbo' struggle to support his own weight after four days with the emphasis on what a potentially great breeding bull he might be. I guess that is 'this farming life' though, commercially driven genetics which put less emphasis on a calf who is up in minutes, cows who are good natured enough to not need tying up etc. I don't know, I guess I'm just not a fan of these Arnold Schwarzenegger bulls!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 07:56:31 pm »
loving the programme. loving Cybil too.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 09:44:18 pm »
loving all of them…so different in so many ways.yet still the same goal

HappyHippy

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 11:57:09 pm »
I am enjoying the programme and so is my daughter which is great but I can't say I enjoyed watching 'jumbo' struggle to support his own weight after four days with the emphasis on what a potentially great breeding bull he might be. I guess that is 'this farming life' though, commercially driven genetics which put less emphasis on a calf who is up in minutes, cows who are good natured enough to not need tying up etc. I don't know, I guess I'm just not a fan of these Arnold Schwarzenegger bulls!
I don't think they deliberately bred him to be a big calf. I'm sure they'd said that his mum had calved the previous year and lost the calf, so she was in great condition when she conceived and didn't have a calf sooking from her so the calf she was carrying had loads of goodness and did lots of growing - I was on the edge of my seat when they were calving him, it's a great programme :)

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2016, 06:45:56 am »
Yes, I do totally get that. I know there was an explanation for why he was so big, the bit that bothered me about it was when the narrator said the guy would be hoping jumbo might be the next big bull or whatever and I just thought, hmm, he can't even stand up after 4 four days, Im not sure he's prime breeding material. It makes me think they prize quantity (of muscle) over quality.

Anyway, perhaps a debate for another thread  ;) I am really enjoying the programme though there is a nice variety and different scales/methods of farming, very interesting.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS