Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: start up problems  (Read 1959 times)

MChez

• Joined Mar 2016
start up problems
« on: March 15, 2016, 07:31:38 am »
we have just been granted our land , happy days  :excited: ! but it has one condition and that is we cant source our own weaners, we have to buy from the land owner! They are worried about new pig bring in diseases to their existing herd, which i understand is a valuable concern!   

Problem is they don't have the breed we were wanting!

Any help or ideas to help me trying to convince them or is it a lost course?

Thanks again you wonderful fountains of knowledge!  :wave: 

HappyHippy

Re: start up problems
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 07:50:13 am »
If it's a condition of the lease there's not much you can do I suspect. I would have done the same were it me I'm afraid - you spend years building a high health herd and want to protect that at all costs.
Why not get your first batch from them and as time goes on they may mellow if they see you practicing good biosecurity - foot baths, good vermin proof storage for feed etc. You could always mention (further down the line) that you would like to try X, Y or Z breed - they might know a breeder that they trust/know the health status of and be more inclined to allow it.
HTH

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:05:20 am »
As above. Surely you knew what the deal was before you agreed to take on the land? I think you're quite lucky to find land for rent that will let you have pigs on at all to be honest.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 12:41:13 pm »
my friend bought a farm that was part of a piggery. he was allowed pigs but all the other sold lots deeds forbade anyone keeping pigs.
its understandable

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS