Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: prolapse ewe update  (Read 2392 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
prolapse ewe update
« on: March 14, 2016, 07:51:40 am »
So poor Rhubarb who prolapsed two weeks before she was due went into labour Saturday night.

Undid the back end of the harness and left her to it under a watchful eye. I had a bad feeling then after a while saw a head and one foot. Put my hand in and she had what I believe to be ring womb. Very tight,  leg stuck fast and I couldn't push it back in.

Got to the point of having to call the vet and as I was giving my address I finally got the leg!  Second lamb was breech and quickly got it out.

So far no prolapse and I have two lovely lambs.

Oh and a very badly crushed hand from her straining And crushing me against her pelvis.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: prolapse ewe update
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 08:09:33 am »
Good result  :thumbsup:

Bear in mind though, they tend to prolapse worse each year so consider culling or not breeding her next year .

She should be fine now  :thumbsup:

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 08:10:30 am »
Glad to hear there was a good outcome! :)  Fingers crossed, I've not had to deal with this yet.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 08:31:40 am »
Well done - you and her both!   :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 09:56:08 am »
Glad to hear there was a positive outcome
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 10:28:54 am »
She is retiring after weaning and hopefully find her a lawn mower home.

This was my first experience of a prolapse and I hope it is my last.

Come home now to an unwell cat.  Never ending :(

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 12:33:06 pm »
So relieved for you both  :thumbsup: :sheep:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 05:01:46 pm »
If the ewe managed to get a head and foot out she did not have ringwomb, just a big lamb to come. Some calciject may have helped her with slow labour.

I have delivered lambs in this position with one leg behind, as trying to get the head back in once fully out is nigh on impossible. It does need a good pull though...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 09:55:04 am »
Delivering with one leg back is usually possible, depending on the size of the shoulders.  Swales and Mules, and even Texels-out-of-Mules I've managed no bother, but the very chunky pure or near-pure Texels and Beltexes just might not come that way.

When you've got just a head you can usually push it back in, even when the head is very swollen, with lots of lube and patience.  (And something to stop the ewe pushing back, if necessary.) 

I don't think it's a good idea to push the lamb back in by the head if one front leg is back.  You'd be pushing the backwards leg against the grain, I'd be worried about tearing the ewe.  So if it won't come one-leg-only, you have to get your hand up alongside the lamb and pull the other foot forwards.  The vet can give the ewe something to stop her contracting/pushing, which might be necessary.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS