Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BLOAT IN CADE LAMB ? ?  (Read 3556 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
BLOAT IN CADE LAMB ? ?
« on: March 12, 2016, 03:55:14 pm »
We have 3 cade lambs who have recently been fed 400ml of milk (bag recommends 500ml) one of the lambs stomach seems to be bigger than the others - is this mild bloat ?? He seems a little uncomfortable but is still walking round nibbling straw etc. I have rubbed his stomach lightly and to put in bluntly hes a quite a few big trumps !! He seems to have passed some of the gas but now I don't know what to do ? Do I keep a very close eye on him or syringe olive oil like other posts have advised ?

Thank you !!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: BLOAT IN CADE LAMB ? ?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 09:44:05 pm »
If it was me I would be doing plenty of belly rubs and keeping an eye on things - looks like you've noticed things early before any big issue and if he's eating and perky I would think on the positive side  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 09:47:06 pm »
Make sure your mixing and feeding the milk at the correct temperature and that all the lumps are out of it. Also check the hole isn't to big In the teat as guzzling is not good either.
Greedy little things cades are, will drink til they burst

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 10:33:57 pm »
I don't know if this will help but when I am bottle feeding I have put in a teaspoon of goats milk yogurt into bottle. Obtained from tesco
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 08:00:19 am »
I don't know if this will help but when I am bottle feeding I have put in a teaspoon of goats milk yogurt into bottle. Obtained from tesco

Do not do this if MV accredited as the goats are not.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 03:26:25 pm »
Thanks for the replies,

I ended up putting a teaspoon of oil in the next feed and it seemed to do the trick, back to normal ! I normally always make the milk up using cold water but on this one occasion I'd forgot so mixed it with warm in a rush and allowed to cool slightly - just shows you ! Sticking to the cold milk !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS