Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bristol: Weaned lambs/young sheep wanted  (Read 2374 times)

Bristol Dan

• Joined Mar 2016
Bristol: Weaned lambs/young sheep wanted
« on: March 05, 2016, 07:29:34 pm »
Hi all,

New to the forum (though I have been lurking around the site for years fantasising!) and was wondering if anyone might be able to help.

I would like to try my hand at raising 3 lambs for the freezer and was hoping to find weaned lambs or young sheep for sale in the Bristol area.

I think timing wise it is a bit early (completely new to this sheep thing!) but was hoping to get the ball rolling as I would like to get them as early as possible so they can start munching the grass!

Thanks in advance.

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
Re: Bristol: Weaned lambs/young sheep wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 04:11:37 pm »
Hi Dan,

I'm a newbie too, and a bristolian!

Just reared my first 6 orphan lambs, 5 ewe lambs and 1 ram lamb (he will be for the freezer). Just weaning the last 2 in a couple of weeks time. - Started with my first one on 7th January! - There are lambs about  :)

Will follow your progress but hope to see you have success!

CPWSolf

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Somerset
  • Wannabe Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 09:30:35 pm »
Hi Dan,

I too am from the area (well Taunton) have been doing something similar for years. I have done it up in Cumbria as well.

Try lambbank.co.uk we ended up with 5 lambs for a grand total of £25! They came from two seperate sources, 3 were free as they are wonky so to speak and the other two were £25 for the pair. Becomes really worth it.
If you need any advice feel free to drop me a pm.
Chris

"You have seen but not observed whereas I both see and observe."

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCadYy6qr4IjVVsVT7zrCZag

Bristol Dan

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 09:45:25 pm »
Hi Faye,

How did you find raising orphan lambs?

We considered that but were a bit worried having never had anything other than chickens before. How much work did you find it to be?

We have found some year old wethers that we are going to look at this weekend. Figure they might be an easier introduction and should still provide some tasty meat later in the year.

Thanks for the tip about the lamb bank - I will have a look there too!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 10:35:52 pm »
If you be not had orphan lambs before, it's a steep learning curve, your wethers would be much better starter sheep.  Good luck  :wave:

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 06:33:18 pm »
Orphan Lambs are a steep learning curve! My first time this year and have found it utterly exhausting, but I think I was better being chucked in at the deep end!

Good luck though!

P.S avoid ORF at all costs, I have it and consider it to be a right of passage but its bloody awful!

:)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 01:11:31 am »
Hi Dan and welcome to the forum from Mid Wales :wave: I have reared many orphaned lambs over the years, 2012 was a record breaker for me 30 lambs I had to rear. ::) It is very hard work and I would definately not advise anyone to do it, due to the time and cost involved it may be cheaper to buy in whethers. Do let us know how you get on though and if you need any advice about anything then please ask and we will answer you the best we can :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Bristol Dan

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 09:47:09 pm »
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Bought a trailer last night and going to look st the wethers on Saturday, all very exciting!

Now looking through the forum for 'must haves' so that we have the essentials in from day one. Wouldn't want anything basic to cause issues.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS