Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oh not the axe has not fell on another chicken!!  (Read 2656 times)

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
Oh not the axe has not fell on another chicken!!
« on: April 27, 2010, 02:14:42 pm »
Just moving on from the 'Ducklings' thread and Wiz's funny story about sausages i cannot help but remember when i was a kid.........

Every year dad used to get a box of chicks somewhere in the region of about 20 and they used to be these lovelt little yellow things that chirped, and being a little lad i would be out every day without fail with dad to feed them and watch them grow. to my upset one day i saw dad plucking a chicken on the kitchen side and asked him what had happened 'oooh arrgh boy the churken fell o'er and 'it its 'ead on the axe' to which i went off and told mum and anyone else with ears. but do you know what even after the 20th chicken 'fell o'er and 'it its 'ead on the axe' i never thought to say to dad 'why dont you move the axe daddy'

I look back now and laugh and wonder whether Jess will remember similar stories that i make up about the pigs when we are eating BBQ
 :pig: :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Oh not the axe has not fell on another chicken!!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 08:39:50 pm »
Are today's kids as gullible as we were?

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 09:28:46 am »
i'll soon find out in June when pigs go on their final journey  :pig: :o

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:20:38 pm »
Your story made me smile.

The people I used to live next to were ex farmers. They kept a couple of pet ewes for the two small boys, who had bottle fed them. Every year, the two ewes were lifted over the fence to run with next doors tup.  The two little boys loved the lambs .......but knowing they would not eat the lamb that had been running round their field, my neighbour would say when they went for slaughter that they had gone to live at a friends farm with her sheep.  Poor kids believed this, and ate the lamb happily, although my neighbour always bought another lamb from elsewhere, and muddled them up in the freezer, so she did not actually know herself which lamb she was eating!!

This system worked well, until one year, the two boys demanded to be taken to Auntie Sue's to see the lambs that had suddenly disappeared!!!
It seems Auntie Sue had to hurriedly be told to produce some lambs to be seen when they arrived to visit "their" lambs!!

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 03:00:49 am »
Oh I'm not as nice as you people, I feel guilty now.  I actually tell my children they are being raised for slaughter.  Funny my daughter who is 12 is OK with it, it's my 5 year old son who won't eat "kill meat", if it's mince it's OK.  If he's told me once he's told me a dozen times, he won't eat the PIGLETS.  If it's bacon and ham I'm sure he will as he loves both ;) and won't associate with the piglets.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 07:00:55 am »
If every one knew where their meat came from there would be far less factory farms! 

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 12:00:45 pm »
I am fine about animals going for slaughter, cows, pigs, hens, even the goats.  BUT  it I had seen it running about this farm, then I personally cannot eat it.

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 01:10:30 pm »
Thats it the pigs are booked in for slaughter and must admit I am a little apprehensive, purely because this is the first time i/we have raised any livestock to eat our selves, but i am also looking forward to eating some tasty pork!!!  :pig: :o

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 09:38:01 am »
And just booked them in with the local butchers so we are now rocking and rolling! In fact Jess was telling me this morning that sausages and pork chops come from the 'pig-a-ligs'  : :pig: :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS