Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: words I've been dreading...  (Read 5716 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: words I've been dreading...
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 02:16:57 pm »
Thanks Roxy. will keep the collars for walkies times! don't need hanging goat on top of everything else this week  :-\
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 02:28:46 pm »
The likelyhood of your goats hanging is remote, but bear in mind that with goats absolutely anything is possible.  If they are getting over, and through fences, its easy for them to get stuck, and a collar would add to their problems, thats what I am getting at.  But its definitely better to err on the safe side, isn't it!!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 02:32:58 pm »
no , I totally agree.  I can imagine the three youngest ones especially getting into a scrape - they do like to climb the bent trees.

thank you for all of your help today - I really do appreciate having this website for advice  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 02:38:29 pm »
Its a pleasure to try and help.  After all, we have all started out at sometime, and had these things happen to us - it was not all plain sailing believe me!!  Things will sort themselves out, and the goats will stay on your side of the fence, and everything will look better ......we hope :D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 02:42:38 pm »
on the good days, you know the ones where its a warm balmy evening and you can watch them happily nibbling on the right side of the fence etc it seems like the perfect idea - other days I think I've made such a boo-boo!!  last night I felt rubbish!! today I blame myself for ronnie having squits. I worry about the vet coming because I am such a novice and they will probably say something to make me feel out of my depth again. but then, tomorrow might be one of the good days again... :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 09:29:52 pm »
what sort of collars do you use?
I've seen some like 'quick release' plastic ones at a smallholder supplies place, and seen goats on normal dog collars.
But which is better?

(theres only one way to find out... !)
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 10:34:42 pm »
It depends on what suits you! My mum doesn't like the plastic release ones, but I don't mind them. Only thing is, I think they do wear out quicker than buckle ones. Our milkers all wear a collar all the time, as they get tied up when being milked, and the big billy wears one too, because it is easier to have something to grab him by.

I don't like really thick material collars, as they can rub the hair of the goats neck. For showing I like to use the rolled leather collars, but they are expensive.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS