Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice please, buying sheep from a flock that has been vaccinated against orf  (Read 1753 times)

Furryears

• Joined Apr 2015
Hi

I hope you can help. I have 8 ewes that have never been vaccinated against orf. I have been offered a Ram and some ewe lambs from a local commercial flock who routinely vaccinate against orf. Is this going to cause a problem, should I avoid buying them? I have had a look online - and - one article said never add a orf vaccinated animal to a flock/site that has never had it.

Any thoughts?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
 THE farmer vaccinates because he has or had a problem , so the sheep may bring orf onto your land .  The vaccine only lasts for 12mths giving protection to the treated animal and is contagious for up to 7wks after being applied .     If you buy in any new sheep ( unless you ask and are told no orf in this flock ) you run the risk of introducing orf   ,  so since you know these sheep are from a flock with orf you are increasing the odds .

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
The vaccine is very easy to apply, you just make a slight scratch on the neck of small ones or a cross under the back leg for bigger ones ... It costs £30 for about 50 doses ... Worth bearing in mind if you get them
Red

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS