Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bio security  (Read 1555 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Bio security
« on: March 07, 2016, 05:09:34 pm »
I have been reading the thread about importing American hogs and have started this one so that I didn't overtake that thread.

Having just returned from New Zealand I was very impressed with their bio security. We filled in all the usual documents on the plane i.e. confirmed we weren't bringing any plant material, fruit etc but when waiting for our luggage at Queenstown airport all the passengers were questioned again. Not only were they asking about food/plant items but we were asked if we had walking boots with us. Mine had been in the washing machine before we left home so no problem there.

Quite a lot of the backpackers coming from Sydney had walking boots on and each one had the underside of their boots checked to ensure they weren't dirty.

It was good to see just how seriously they take their bio security
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Bio security
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 06:41:01 pm »
Absolutely.  You'll see from my responses to the earlier thread just what my views are on the subject of biosecurity.  When we took on the GOS female bloodline there were just 8, yes, eight, registered females left in the country.  Makes the Clouded Leopard or Giant Panda look numerous!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 06:44:42 pm »
Australia is the same. Very strict and rightly so.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 08:48:01 am »
I have been out of action so watching some daytime tv while spinning and one programme Border Control has been very interesting on how strict Australia is.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 08:57:33 am »
If the US had had tighter controls it's likely PEDv wouldn't now be romping through their national herd, as well as that of Mexico and Canada. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS