Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice please re bulbs and honeysuckle  (Read 1195 times)

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
Advice please re bulbs and honeysuckle
« on: March 06, 2016, 05:24:33 pm »
What are peoples experiences with goats eating the emerging foliage of daffodils? Mine have nibbled the tops off and although I only have a couple of small clumps in their paddock I'm wondering if I should dig them up? Very contradictory info out there on the www.

I'm also wanting to enlarge their current paddock to include an area that has honeysuckle and again I can't seem to find consistent info on whether they can eat this or not.

Be grateful for any opinions.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Advice please re bulbs and honeysuckle
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 08:06:35 pm »
As far as I know No to the bulbs (as in don't let the goats eat them) and no idea re honeysuckle. Probably OK if native one and not evergreen, but  haven't got one here, so have not researched it. Sorry.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 11:57:22 pm »
I'm sure one of mine has eaten honeysuckle but not a lot, tbh, as I usually chased her off before she could get much.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 09:41:29 pm »
Thanks Anke and MGM, I haven't let them out since I spotted the nibbled leaves and will dig them up tomorrow. I think on the Fiasco Goat Farm website they claim that goats adore honeysuckle yet it is listed as a poisonous plant for goats elsewhere. I'm trying to be so careful especially as Heidi was so ill a few weeks ago. I bought a big sack of Dengies Alpha-A to give as an afternoon treat, both the girls love it. I'm giving a them a big handful each but wondering if thats enough?
Anke you mentioned giving the Alpha A to your milkers and I was wondering if the fenugreek tainted the milk somewhat?
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS