Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shearing  (Read 26795 times)

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
Shearing
« on: April 27, 2010, 10:21:48 am »
Hello all,

As you have probably worked out I am a shearer :sheep:, just letting you all know that I am available to shear flocks of any size from one sheep upwards ( large flocks also more than welcome), also angora goats and if all goes well camelids  :llama:   ;D.

I will travel almost anywhere (within reason) so long as my travel costs are covered.

List of counties I currently cover are: Yorkshire, Lancashire, County Durham, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire, Shropshire, Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and Oxfordshire and have had enquiries from Scotland.

Please feel free to contact me for any further information and to find out when I am in your area.

I have experience shearing a wide range of sheep breeds: Balwen, Beltex, Black Welsh Mountain, Castlemilk Moorit, Charollais, Dorset, Herdwick, Hebridean, Jacobs, Kerry Hill, Leicester Longwool, Lincoln Longwool, Lleyn, Lonk, Manx Loughtan, Masham, Mule, Norfolk Horn, Ouessant, Oxford Down, Rouge de l'Ouest, Shetland, Soay, Southdown, Suffolk, Swaledale, Texel,Wensleydale, White Faced Woodland and a variety of crossbreeds.

I'm also available for demonstration shearing at events, open farms etc.

And I think, up to now everyone has offered me a cup of tea not that I'm dropping hints! ;)

Thanks,
Philip - The Singing Shearer
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:43:22 am by SingingShearer »

Hen

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: Shearing
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 11:21:42 am »
Hi Philip

Are you going to be in the gloucestershire area any time in the next few weeks?

Thanks

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 12:18:34 pm »
Shame Essex is not on the list!

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 01:02:30 pm »
Hi

Hen,

Yes 9th may if this is any good to you, not sure of time as it's a prety full day.
How many sheep have you got?

Dixie,

Where about's in Essex are you and how many sheep?

Thanks,
Philip

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 03:09:19 pm »
Hi, I am near chelmsford and have 10 sheep, my friend has 8. :sheep:

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 03:39:10 pm »
Hi Dixie,

The cost of travel will be aprox. £50 split between the two of you, but if I get more jobs in your area I would split the travel costs equally.

Will I be shearing all the sheep in one place or will I have to move between you?

Thanks,
Philip

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 06:28:07 pm »
philip sheared my sheep at the weekend and i would thoroughly recommend him. my sheep were treated kindly  and it was lovely to talk to his family and pick their brains about using the wool

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 06:43:38 pm »
We can bring them to one place otherwise we are 2 miles apart. Apart from the £50 travel, whats the cost of shearing please? and when do you think you'd be able to come to this neck of the woods??

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 07:27:58 pm »
Hi Dixie,

If the sheep are all in one place and I can get them all done in the hour it will be £30 for the shearing, after that hour £1.25 per sheep.

Could you let me know what breed they are? And when you would prefer me to do them, ie weekdays or weekend, my aim would be to get there early in the morning and get set up for when the dew has gone off their backs.

Also do you have a building to put them in overnight if rain is forecast? If not we are a bit more at the mercy of the weather. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss all this on the forum.

Hi NLL,
 :wave:
Didn't know you were on here! Thankyou for your kind recommendation, shearing your sheep was a nice start to the season as you were so well set up it made my job so much easier 

Thanks,
Philip :sheep:

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 10:00:47 am »
thanks for that, I will speak to my friend as its her that usually arranges shearing, although we got let down last year and had to get a friend to do them, not sure he's up to it this year though he's health is not so good, will get back to you, thanks.

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 04:09:56 pm »
Ok will wait to hear from you, its VERY rare that I let anyone down.

Thanks,
Philip

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 09:23:31 pm »
Hi Philip

Just to let you know I won't be around on the 9th May as I shall be at River Cottage  :o ;D but Martin (hubby) and the boys are really looking forward to your visit. Martin is practising 'rounding up' the sheep as they are a bit skitty.

I'm sorry I shall miss you, - I'm sure you'll do a great job - I shall look forward coming home to 'naked' sheep as my 5 year old calls them!

Sharon
Ross-on-Wye

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 09:35:03 pm »
Hi Sharon,

Pity you can't be there to see "The strip show" ;D Of course I mean the sheep.

Hope you approve of my handiwork when you see the results, looking forward to it.

Thanks,
Philip

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 10:05:06 am »
Hi All,

Have recently had two enquiries for shearing twice yearly (early and then again in the autumn) also recommended for angora goats, just thought I'd add that I am available for this as well.

Also forgot this from my first post: for further information see www.singingshearer.co.uk

Thanks,
Philip

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 02:45:28 pm »
Hi again, right there may be a few of us here needing a shearer, my 10 and friends 8 can all be done at one place, then 2 miles down the road another 8, there mybe another 27 nearby! we have our first small holder meeting on the 11th so will get to meet some new people I dont yet know, I will find out if they need you too! My ewes are mainly mules with 1 jacob and a suffolk, my frineds are suffolks, not sure about the others, ours can be done inside, how many do you expact to do in an hour? I will probably give you a ring tommorrow to chat further if thats ok. many thanks! Oh and cups of tea a plenty!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS