Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The N K Venture  (Read 31043 times)

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
Re: The N K Venture
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 06:59:03 pm »

At the farm we have no cooker so Im trying to manage cooking for 4 adults with a microwave only, it isnt easy so we have tried to make use of takeaways but they are positively disgusting. We have tried 2 different Chinese takeaways and both times non of us could eat it. We tried a kebab place and the dogs loved it. The fish and chip shop near us serves re-cooked chips and very, very greasy fish.
However we have found a good reasonable priced pub called the Trawl (Hungry Horse chain) which is about 30 mins from us so Im working my way down the menu. lol

Laceby chinese takaway is lovely you should try it! Also healing manor do lovely food i often go there when im at my mums (its her local and she about lives in there  ::) )  also no too far from the trawl Little field lane chinese ta is the best in the world!!  :yum: and littlefield to a really nice carvery just down the road frm the chinese well worth a try

Danielle

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 08:02:53 pm »
all sounds good, (apart from the dead chook)
smilimg at the cowardly shepherd... ours is obsessed with licking the pigs' noses, then jumps when they sniff & blow back at her!!
Little Blue

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 09:17:37 am »
Thank you Danielle, now we wont starve!  ;D

Considering GSD's have such a fierce reputation they are not all like that. lol It seems as though yours is as wimpy as mine Little blue. ;D

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 10:00:22 am »
Ive just had a phone call call from hubby on the farm and 1 lamb has died overnight. Im so sad about if as they looked so healthy at 5 weeks and were taking milk very well.
However I did notice one shivering last night after its feed and it didn't take all its feed,

Im wondering if it could be pneumonia although it wasnt coughing.

The lamb are housed inside (no draughts) with a good deep bed of straw, they have access to creep and fresh water and hay.

Hubby has kept the body for me to look at tomorrow as he said its stomach looks swollen but that could be stomach bacteria and is a natural swelling after death.

Any ideas?

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 04:27:44 pm »
Sorry about your lamb Jackie  :(

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2010, 04:34:17 pm »
Thank you Sharon.

I contacted my vet (in Melton) who said its probably something called 'water belly???' and has given me 5 syringes to inject the lambs with when I go back tomorrow.

Fingers crossed I catch whatever it is.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2010, 05:16:28 pm »
Jackie I look forward to each new chapter of this story, please dont stop. 

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2010, 06:36:43 pm »
Thank you :)

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2010, 07:34:03 pm »
Oh I didnt say but we went to see Smiffy and her animals. We spent a great 2 hours looking and stroking her pigs and have ordered 5 pedigree sows for breeding plus Smiffy is getting fresh boars in so I can take my sows back to her for mating.  ;D

Im getting the berkshire, mangazila and lop piglets very soon but the Tamworths arent born yet and Smiffy isnt sure whether the sow is in pig.
 I know I said I didn't want Tamworths as they tend to be escape artists but I fell in love with Boris the boar as he chatted away to me for ages and I was stroking his snout. Heaven! But OMG they are huge animals!!! Plus I met the new baby Tam boar and we hand fed him grass and he followed us inside his pen talking all the time. ;D
 2 Berkshires would make 1 Tamworth!!!

Smiffy's place was well set out with nice regimented fenced areas for the pigs. Each breed was kept separately with 1 boar to several sows. Lol The lop sow was so huge she couldn't be bothered to move her carcass out of her ark so we reached in and scratched her behind the ear.

Smiffy has all rare breed animals, chickens, cows, turkeys and 3 rhea. Ill buy some turkey poults (bronze cross whites I think they are) later in the year for the Christmas market.

Despite hubby saying we would never own a cow he fell in love with a calf that Smiffy had in the barn. She is a lincolnshire red I think but pure white in colour with huge great gentle eyes. Hubby asked how big she would grow and when Smiffy told him it put him off a bit I think, anyway we didnt buy it, although she probably wasnt for sale anyway lol BUT, and a huge BUT, it has got hubby now thinkling about owning a house cow, so thats all good.  ;D

I should have sorted out the prices for the piglets when we were there but Smiffy had so many phone calls asking about her stock and I was slightly gobsmacked by it all that it was hard to remember what to ask. I do however remember asking how much her great big barn was as I was dead impressed by it and we need one similar and much smaller going by the price Smiffy paid lol

OH and I have ordered 40 geese, Ex breed geese, so they are not truly babies that I could lose. They are fatteners for the christmas market. I am due to pick them up early July. Ohh I better check it may be early June.

I didnt collect my rescue battery hens cos we had a major problem at home that day (Mum has alzheimers and gets aggressive) and had to dash home, Im sorry that we couldnt even phone the rescue lady to tell her but she phoned us on our mobile the next day and was quite snotty even after we explained!! I understand she now has and extra 20 chickens at her place that she didnt want but she didnt give us an alternative day to take them. Ah well such is life!

NVM a friend of one of my daughters owns a commercial poultry unit and will sell us some chickens for £1 each so Im still rescuing chickens albeit not from the rescue above.
I was hoping by now to be eating our own fresh eggs.

Lucky for me that we bought a rescue place as it has loads of fenced off pens for the animals with sheds already on so all we have to do is put the animals on the land.

We have now started to paint the walls inside of the kennels and bright clean white and the outside walls a warmer cream colour. Even just simple painting makes it look better.
The central heating pipes have been replaced as the copper pipes were all stolen plus the copper tank in the roof space.
A friend of ours came up last weekend and hes a tech genius so we now have CCTV all over the land, we have 6 cameras that are movement censored and can see in the dark too. They are wireless connected to a computer and the info is stored on the hard drive  and can be accessed by our mobile phones too. Very techy stuff but needed in this area me thinks.

Anyway Ive just ordered a chinese meal so Im going now.

Thanks for reading.

PS Thanks to the people who added me in Facebook. Annie you looked very glamorous on that cruise.  ;D

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2010, 07:43:25 pm »
IThe central heating pipes have been replaced as the copper pipes were all stolen plus the copper tank in the roof space.
A friend of ours came up last weekend and hes a tech genius so we now have CCTV all over the land, we have 6 cameras that are movement censored and can see in the dark too. They are wireless connected to a computer and the info is stored on the hard drive  and can be accessed by our mobile phones too. Very techy stuff but needed in this area me thinks.

A very big yes to that!  ::)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010, 07:46:54 pm »
sounds great Jackie....
Little Blue

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 02:21:01 pm »
I went to Brocklesby yesterday to see the new long reach teleporter.Then up to the Grange where Paul's Dad was splitting logs since its only about 3 mile away I went to inspect the NK Venture.My they have a lot of work to do the place was just left by HARA rubbish and all the lot.They have made a start and it looks good there Kath went and inspected the animals and because I wasn't to great with wandering about the Grange I went and inspected the walnut trees they look well there will be plenty.When we go to NK I was very short of breath so I stayed with Jackies O/H and he showed me how they have got on on his compooter It's a smasher mobile with ever such a large VDU has loads of pic's on.We had a nice cup of coffee and a nice long chat before we came away.Both look very well and hopefully both are off to Rasen on Saturday.Lets hope they find loads of goodies they need for the NK job and nice and cheap as well Will report later as and when I go. :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 04:58:36 pm »
Shall I carry on doing this for everyone or are you bored with it?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 05:05:03 pm »
Well, I certainly am not bored - I am very interested (or is that nosey?!!!)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 05:27:35 pm »

Definately not bored so please carry on
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS