Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: STARTING OUT - HOW TO CHOOSE A BREED  (Read 5178 times)

Louise P

• Joined Jul 2015
Re: STARTING OUT - HOW TO CHOOSE A BREED
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 07:27:46 pm »
Yey congratulations on your move. Yep, cute is not usually the best option. True, you need to buy a breed you like but as is often said, rare breeds are rare for a reason. I'm not suggesting you don't buy a rare breed, just make sure you consider the negatives as well as the positives before making a decision.
I have recently switched to some easycare self shedding sheep and so far I love them. I especially like that you can see from a distance how they are bagging up and you don't need to clip a load of wool from around their udders just so their lambs can find the teats lol.
Just do your research then take the plunge. You can always swop breeds at a later date if it doesn't work for you.
Good luck and enjoy :-)

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 07:13:58 pm »
Choose your breed according to the type and quality of your fencing!! Some breeds don't see a fence as a barrier but more of a minor obstacle ;D

Timothy5

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 09:26:26 pm »
I would say, make damn sure your land is properly fenced before you decide to keep livestock of any kind, but that's just my opinion, for what it is worth.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS