Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Who is growing what this year?  (Read 13708 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Who is growing what this year?
« on: February 28, 2016, 01:54:26 pm »
So guys I will be growing toms, cherry toms, cucumbers, rocket, runner beans, french beans, broad beans and barlotti (if I have the space) courgettes, squash and possibly a few pumpkins and definately basil, can't do without basil :) What is everyone else growing then?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: Who is growing what this year?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 08:46:58 pm »
We only have 5 smallish raised beds but to be honest - I haven't really thought about it properly yet.
But I'll likely do:
-Legumes: runner & broad beans & possibly mange touts - not bothering with peas.
-Roots: parsnips, carrots and beetroot.
-A load of salad stuff - rocket, lettuce, radish, spr onions, parsley.
-Alliums: not sure about onions or leeks - possible neither.
-Brassicas: possibly just curly kale and not bother with anything else.
-Potatoes: salad Anya & Charlotte +1st early RDofY - all getting grown in plastic trug buckets this year.

But given that its still freezing here - I ain't rushing to do anything yet (however the seed spuds are bought).

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 09:26:49 pm »
I've bought seeds and seed potatoes but have no plan yet. Usual stuff - spuds, shallots, peas, beans, carrots, parsnips, beetroot, toms, cucumber, sprouts etc etc and kohl rabi  :o

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 10:33:59 pm »
Exactly as Rosemary says, with the exception of Kohl Rabi - in 40 years of trying I've never had a single worthwhile root  :rant:  Oh plus garlic and squash.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 12:53:25 am »
I have limited space but runner beans and climbing French beans, peas, beetroot, salad leaves, radishes, squash, yellow courgettes, tomatoes, carrots, chard, black kale and anything else I can find space for.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 08:28:53 am »
Over the last couple of years I have learnt to cut back on the range of produce we grow and focus on what we eat most of and what is expensive if bought. We freeze what we can of course and I have learnt from our old neighbour how to preserve and store crops better. That said the weather is so mild that we are still digging up carrots rather than getting them from under sand in the cellar.
Garlic is looking good and I have prepared soil for all the onions and shallots. Seed spuds on trays in barn and plenty of manure spread for a busy Spring.
Happy gardening all !
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 09:08:59 am »
Most of the above except broad beans yuck :yuck: plus aubergines peppers and chillies celeriac celery and butternut squash. Can't wait :excited:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 09:09:06 am »
I shall be trying what I do every year - to grow brassicas - and then find out it was a complete waste of time and effort.  :-\   Have started having green smoothies for breakfast every day, so am going to grow my own spinach this year - never done it before.  Other than that, the usual toms, beans etc and have six lovely looking globe artichokes that I put out last year that I hope will bear this year...scrummy - one of my favourite veg.  Good luck all!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 11:36:55 am »
Mud, thistles, nettles, slugs, blueberries and strawberries. If we're lucky this year, we may even get an apple!  :)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 11:44:05 am »
Mud, thistles, nettles, slugs, blueberries and strawberries. If we're lucky this year, we may even get an apple!  :)

What, no couch grass - you lucky devil  :innocent:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 01:40:32 pm »
I keep saying that I'll grow less...
This year defiately fewer tatties.. the work involved with the amount I have to chuck due to excessive scab etc making them useless for storage... still got 3 big sacks in the barn..
And last year I ut in some 800+ onion sets.so going to reduce that..
greenhouse stuff.. cue, peppers, toms , lettuce, radish, spring onion (and outdoors).. forget the aubergines they just get the whitefly first.
Outside.. add carrot, peas, b beans , french beans, polestar runners (stringless), parsnips and brassicas: still got some brussels on the stalks out there. Curly kale, PSB, cabbages, khol rabi (hear that fleecewife?). And lots of sweetcorn 'cos the pheasants like eating it before i can. I've given up on cape gooseberries.. tend to ripen late and get hit by frosts before they do, given up on strawberries 'cos the birds and chickens and pheasants get that as well unless in hanging baskets. Forget the red cabbage cos no-one ate it, same for the green broccoli stuff cos you only find the caterpillars when they float up in the pan.
Hoping for lots of fruit though,,, running out of my frozen stuff.. stewed apple all gone, only 2 damson packs left and all the blackcurranst gone too: still there's always rhubarb.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 03:21:21 pm »
.and I've just managed to get my veggie patch disced before the rain came. We've had a dry week and the plough lines crumbled down pretty good. Ideally another session in about 3 weeks...

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 04:25:40 pm »
Well I dug a huge heap of last year's manure pile over to the next bed so that will be for courgettes and runner beans.  Giving up on French as they were dire, but will grow both peas and mangetout again, just with a break between so when wind drives them over they don't all get mixed up and I eat the wrong pods and shell the wrong peas..

Def beetroot and curly kale, spinach, salad crops. leeks, both calabrese and PS broccolis and other things I eat a lot of.  Just a pot of tatties and one or two rows of red onions, carrots and parsnips but NO MORE.  Also I resolve not to plant more brussels than I and my neighbours can face, but I will grow a few.  No cabbages as they're space filling and not particularly well used here.  Might use the space to try celeriac again, I did celery this year but might not bother with more than an odd few plants rather than start seed.  I want a go at fennel I think, as my test crop for the year.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 07:16:19 pm »
At the allotment this year;
Potatoes, cabbage, cauli, peas, onions, beetroot, strawberries, rasps, and a bed of flowers for the bees.

Saturday is Potato Day in Dunblane in the BRAEPORT CENTRE, DUNBLANE,  FK15 0AT

Starts at 1pm

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 10:49:23 pm »
Onions (red and white)
Leeks, garlic and shallots
Squashes ( turks turban and butternut)
Runner beans, dwarf beans
Tomatoes, cucumber and anthing else I can squeeze in

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS