Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New idea  (Read 1803 times)

Ben94

• Joined Jan 2016
New idea
« on: February 28, 2016, 12:09:04 pm »
Do you think let people pick there own breed of sheep/pig/cattle or poultry then I would raise them until slaughter age then sell the final product to the consumer is it feasible idea? Would you do it if you couldn't have your own livestock?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: New idea
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 12:13:23 pm »
It sounds a bit messy to me.  Are you just thinking one person or several different people?

If its several people you could end up with several different breeds, presumably that means from different sources (what about your bio security) and probably different ages so different needs.

Hmmm, I think it would be a lot of work but lets see what the others think
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 01:43:04 pm »
It is a nice idea, however I think that it would take a lot of animals to make it feasible. The costs would have to of course be considered. I think that if you did do it your best bet might be large scale, but then it would be rather intensive. This is just what I think, I may be wrong of course. All the best with whatever you decide and keep us updated? :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 02:13:47 pm »
Would you do it if you couldn't have your own livestock?

NO  .... why bother there is no money in it   
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 04:38:35 pm »
Do you think let people pick there own breed of sheep/pig/cattle or poultry then I would raise them until slaughter age then sell the final product to the consumer is it feasible idea? Would you do it if you couldn't have your own livestock?

We raised a "community pig" last year. We bought two, but knew we'd only eat one so we offered one to four families in the village, at cost. They loved it - got it from the butcher as primal cuts and spend a weekend making sausasges, butchering it etc. They want to do it again ths year and another small group has asked if we'd raise one for them.

Of course it doesn't make money - I could probably make a few quid but raising two or three isn't any harder than raising one.

Like Bionic, I can see that the co-ordination could be challenging and agree about the biosecurity issues.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS