Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gimmer worrying her own fleece and bare patches. Help and advice needed please  (Read 4645 times)

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
Only had the shetlands about 9 months.  One of the gimmers is going bald and worrying at her own fleece.  Iv'e had a look and there are patches of bare skin on her side and rump.  The bare patches have tiny blood scabs as well.  Like she has been pricked by something: I'm sure she hasn't but that's the only way I can describe it.

One of the yews looks to be starting the same way.  Managed to grab and tip her today and she also has a hole in her skin right next to her bag.  About 5mm round.

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow but in the meantime, any ideas????

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
I think pictures would be useful, but I think that what looks like a hole near her bag is 'normal' (believe it or not!)...

More of a worry is the wool pulling and bare patches etc.  Best way forward really would be to get a vet to take a look - so that they can correctly diagnose lice or (which would be worse) scab.  The danger of trying to diagnose by forum consensus (which, of course, we're all tempted to do at times...) is that with this sort of problem you can end up spending a lot of unnecessary time (& money) on pointless treatments...

Sometimes a vet can diagnose with a sample of wool and scraping of skin (ie doesn't need to see the actual sheep), but this can be more risky since you need very good samples to diagnose properly...

Also, a number of the possible conditions can spread fairly rapidly among the flock - so best to act as quickly and rapidly as you can...

Sorry not to be more diagnostic, but good luck.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Sounds like she's made herself sore itching.
Speak to the vet and get some dectomax to treat them all for lice.

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
They were dipped for lice and things in the autumn.  Should that not keep them clean??

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
VET please you are describing SCAB                               Dectomax   treats scab  not lice        DIP treatment will have run out months ago

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Scab is still notifiable, I think?  VET
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
In this warm winter lice can just re-appear.... round here the crows have started to sit on some of the girls again and pull fleece... they will easily spread lice (and worse). But I would pack the ewe in the trailer/back of the pick-up and let the vet have a look at it skin scrapings for scab need to be taken by someone who knows what they are doing. You will probably have to treat the whole flock...

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Scab is still notifiable, I think?  VET
     Scotland  yes     England & wales no but they can force you to treat

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Sorry to hear about that. I always treat mine with scab and wormer (all in one) every year; I was however speaking to a farmer friend who uses another scab/wormer injection which lasts longer than Dectomax, I think, I can't remember the name atm but apparently if you have scab on your land (I:E where the sheep have been scratching or from someone elses land passed over) the scab mite can last an awfukl long time and when you treat the sheep with the scab/wormer (dectomax one I think) it runs out before the mite dies, so they can then come back onto the sheep from its hidyhole on the pasture. Thats it I hve remembered it! Cydectin. Apparently it lasts 2 weeks longer than dectomax giving the sheep full coverage against the dreaded scab. http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfizer_Limited/Cydectin_1_ACU-_w_v_Solution_for_Injection_for_Sheep/-48184.html However if it is lice then it says that cydectin is not to be used as it makes no difference. Hope this helps. Here is some more info..... http://www.scops.org.uk/ectoparasites-sheep-scab.html I would recommend looking all this up properly though as I have only had it from a fellow sheep farmer who is quite knowledgable, but it may or may not be right, still proper research is necessary before treating animals! http://www.farmanimalhealth.co.uk/sheep-scab
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 09:30:55 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
Vet next week then.  Don't have a trailer so it will be SWMBO driving with em in the back of the car with the gimmer.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
I would get the vet to come out, it will be more expensive but you do not want to do anything that could potentially spread scab.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Ring your vet in the morning ... mine told me to bring 2 in for examination  ....
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
The vet has been, taken a scrape and diagnosed Scab.  He's been back this morning and injected them all so they should be ok now.  We have also moved them onto fresh pasture where they will stay for the next month or so, at least.  Just hope the tup doesn't go wandering again because he can climb out of this field.
Bloody expensive things these sheep.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
 :thumbsup:   Would be good to quietly inform any neighbours who had/have any sheep over the fence , as it spreads easily (   your sheep maybe caught it from a  neighbours )

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS