Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: which way to cross indian game and utility birds?  (Read 6203 times)

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
which way to cross indian game and utility birds?
« on: April 26, 2010, 01:41:14 pm »
I bought some indian game fowl with the intention of crossing the ig  cockerel with my light sussex hens to produce some meaty birds for the table. The guy I bought them from said that It would be better to cross them the other way round i.e. a utility cockerel on indian game hens. is this true? can someone suggest reasons why? Are some of the desirable characteristic in the resulting hybrid sex linked? or is it simply that ig cockerels are so vicious that people are put off keeping them? As it happens I now have both ig and light sussex hens and cockerels so next year I'll try the reciprocal crosses and find out for myself but in the meantime any tips or advice would be welcomed.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: which way to cross indian game and utility birds?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 04:17:26 pm »
I have read it is better to keep IG hens for breeding meat birds(RC cookbook) , we are crossing ours with a RIR cock this year and have eggs incubating now from them. My IG cockerel was a gentle soul but he died suddenly :'( We are going to get some more if these work out as they are my favourite breed.RIR X LS hens auto sex which we breed also for meat birds but dont know about IGxs sorry.

bamford6

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 10:36:43 am »
you need to cross them with a dorking river cottage had all the breeds and the best was crossed with a dorking

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 02:51:06 pm »
Hello Tref.
I have posted a bit about dual purpose and table birds on my web site.That should give you a few ideas.

But as a taster..

The cockerel brings egg numbers into the gene mix when mated, so if you use an Indian Game cock unless you have a strain that has been bred to lay more than normal for Indians your breeding pullets that do not lay many eggs. This depends if your going to eat the pullets :o.
 Oddly enough it's the female side that carries size of body,which connects with a game bird, as they carry heavier amounts of meat on the breast.

I used an Australorp cock, as they have Croad Langshan in the makeup and Croad have Asil in them. (Both Game breeds). Your looking for a cross that 'nicks' or dovetails into the other birds gene pool to create a bird that is going in the direction you want it to go. Once you start messing on breeding new strains it takes over your life.Its a fascinating hobby.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 02:52:39 pm by Castle Farm »
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS