Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Please help me. Ewe not eating? Bagging up  (Read 4695 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Please help me. Ewe not eating? Bagging up
« on: February 24, 2016, 09:47:24 pm »
Please help me. I have a texel x ewe bag up in the lay two days and super age her self from the rest of flock. I have put her inside as I think she might lamb. She is normally the friendliest of ewes and eats a lot more than we fair share. But now she takes a single but puts it in her mouth and makes a big deal about it and half the time spits it out. Please help me she has been lying around the past few days an awful lot so don't know what to do.

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Please help me. Ewe not eating? Bagging up
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 09:51:29 pm »
While being off food can mean she may be going to lamb I would get some twin lamb drench into her asap. Has she been scanned??

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 09:55:54 pm »
We don't have any twin lamb drench the vet said we didn't need it. We have alamycin, ketosaid, bimoxcil, pen and strep, multivit and that's pretty much it

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 09:58:38 pm »
ketosaid, indicated ose.m offer her some browse and hay, keep her in x

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 09:59:31 pm »
So should I give her ketosaid? This time last week she practically spent the whole day by the silage bale eating

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 10:02:41 pm »
As hellybee says, keep a real close eye on her. Do you know when she is due to lamb?

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 10:05:03 pm »
we sponged some to lamb by last sunday not including her. She is not meant ot lamb until the end of march according to raddle

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 12:24:16 am »
Was she scanned for twins?  How old is she what s her condition score, do they hve high energy and protein lick? She possibly not eating cos they pulling on her reserves n making her out of it. It's about getting her sugars back up, maybe worth giving her a vitamin too, as you don't have a twin lamb drench to hand, the best one we found is netted collate multi lamb rapid

We brought all our twins down last week, plus some lean singles, they have the choice of in or out.  We been hearing of a lot of twin lamb, so we brought them down, they got a few protein and high energy disc feed licks, a propyl glycol bucket and lifeline, plus a ewe nut breakfast.

Good luck hope she ll be ok xx
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 12:27:00 am by Hellybee »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 08:59:20 am »
Twin lamb drench and Calciject.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 10:02:43 am »
You say she spits out her food is her jaw a bit loose especially to one side or even one ear more floppy.The struggling to chew is an early symptom of listeria particularly she is  eating silage it could be an early indication of listeria check with your vet urgent treatment course of pen&strep, nursing and helping her to eat  drenching high energy molasses may help secondary twin lamb as caused by not eating. If you get them early they can make a good recovery. Good Luck

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 10:13:00 am »
Very true Talena, well now the morning has come perhaps the vet has given a diagnosis, hope the ewe is feeling better x

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 08:04:12 pm »
Sounds like listeriosis, twin lamb or maybe the lambs died inside and starting to poison her.....

Whatever it is she is clearly unwell and the longer she is left without a proper diagnoses ( vet ) the less likely there is of a good outcome.

People tend to bother less with the welfare of sheep for some reason and I don't know why, if this was a horse or a cow then the vet would have been called asap.

They may be worth less but are no less deserving of care and the basic right to vet treatment.

Hopefully you can give us a positive update  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS