Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cone of shame?  (Read 2264 times)

Redjellybean301

• Joined Feb 2016
Cone of shame?
« on: February 24, 2016, 10:13:26 am »
Hi there,

One of my pygmy wethers has mites, which I have just treated with ivermectin pour-on.  Unfortunately his scratching has made an area around his bottom red-raw and it is starting to bleed - I have watched him repeatedly scratching it with his teeth.

Has anyone tried a cone/Elizabethan collar on their goat, to stop the scratching?  I know it won't stop him rubbing his back end on things, but I think it's his teeth that are doing the real damage at the moment.   

Thanks!

RJ

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Cone of shame?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 12:32:26 pm »
I'd give it a go
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 08:53:21 pm »
I have a friend who used one on a goat was successful for her. Worth trying, hope it heals soon maybe some antiseptic cream may help as well.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 12:20:35 am »
One of mine enjoys walking round with a bucket hanging round her neck. I've seen her sliding her head under the handle on many occasions. I'm sure she'd enjoy having a collar of shame on.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 06:27:47 pm »
maybe they should do what mine do and get their heads stuck in the stock fencing repeatedly.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 08:29:16 pm »
I would give it go - can we have a picture? I could print it out to show my goats what they may get :)
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 09:22:58 pm »
funny you should say that! Just swapped my dogs cone of shame for a more comfortable inflatable collar but kept the cone for future uses, i.e. goats etc  :dunce:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS