Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cashmere ( Kashmir ) fibre  (Read 1717 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Cashmere ( Kashmir ) fibre
« on: February 21, 2016, 09:04:14 pm »
I've been reading an article in The Times today that covers the use of Cashmere fibre .
It's reported that the Scottish Woolen Mill's outlets up & down the UK have been accused of selling Cashmere products that contain all manner of other animal hair including rat fur .

I did a quick search & picked up a Wikki about Cashmere goats aka " Capra hircus laniger ".

Could these creatures also be an added value crop to some of you small holders ?

One thing I noticed is that these animals moult around March in the northern hemisphere & yes there appears to be  genuine good market for their ultra fine hair within the UK .

Any thoughts guys & gals ?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:05:53 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Re: Cashmere ( Kashmir ) fibre
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 04:07:28 pm »
I think they look really lovely and would like to have a few. We tried last year but just couldn't find any. I was pointed in the direction of one breeder (I think in the South West) who has them but was told that she is very difficult to get in touch with and never managed!

2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Cashmere ( Kashmir ) fibre
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 12:23:36 pm »
Put " British Cashmere Goats Society " in to your search engine for a shed load of start points.
It seems to be that there is someone up in Scotland who has a very very fine Russian Kashmir goat  .. that cost them  £ 1,500 to get hold of .

I guess he's going to have a great  life style unless the owner takes the A. I. road .

:idea:  :innocent: Even then a helping hand is better than nothing.  :roflanim: :roflanim:
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS