Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Whats wrong with my goat?  (Read 6825 times)

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
Re: Whats wrong with my goat?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 01:23:12 pm »
An update on Heidi - thinks she's over the worst. Vet diagnosed chest infection and I asked for stool sampling for worms. So she had a course of im injections and rumen stimulant drench and she started to eat again a few days ago. Her improvement is gradual though as she still only nibbles at her concentrate (I've decided to buy the goat feed even though its near £17 a bag, but has added selenium and copper), and at least she's interested in eating hay. Her stools are still a bit soft but might be due to antibiotics?

For anyone interested the stool sample results for worms were encouraging as the count came back at 200 which the vet said was low, no lung worm either or eggs but the cocci count was 800 which again the vet said might be because she is ill. I have been looking into Heptavac for them but only when she is back to normal and her temp is back down to 102.2.

My biggest concern is how she became ill in the first place and how much of it was due to what I did or didn't do. Thanks again for everyone's input I really appreciate the time taken to write and sorry if I came across as a bit grumpy  :-[.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 01:30:29 pm »
Given that she is not milking/in-kid not eating concentrates for a few days is not the end of the world, can you get readigrass (from the horsey section)? Mine absolutely love it, or try Alpha-A (the plain version, yellow bag), again loved by my milkers at the moment. Both of them a good fibre as well as energy/protein for goats.

Goats can also get viral infections, just like humans...

If she has got a high cocci count it may be worth giving her a dose of Vecoxan or Baycox (same as sheep, but needs fairly accurate weighing of the animal). Usually adults have quite a high level of cocci, but only a small percentage of them is causing illness, the rest is just there... The oldest mine have been when given vecoxan was 7 months, and then it was in conjunction with wormer to clear up diarrhoea.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 02:00:34 pm »
Yes she had Vecoxan on Weds along with vit b jab and Ketosaid orally - poor thing has been pumped full of stuff for over a week. What she wants to eat is our silage, which is more like haylage but I'm very wary of giving that due to any potential listeria bacteria which in her present compromised condition would not be wise.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 05:17:03 pm »
Yes she had Vecoxan on Weds along with vit b jab and Ketosaid orally - poor thing has been pumped full of stuff for over a week. What she wants to eat is our silage, which is more like haylage but I'm very wary of giving that due to any potential listeria bacteria which in her present compromised condition would not be wise.

Definitely NO silage!

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 07:37:29 pm »
Can you expand on that Anke please - is it from the listeriosis factor or something else? I know people who keep goats and feed sileage even bought in stuff, whereas ours is for our sheep primarily . Thanks.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 09:07:52 pm »
Main danger is listeriosis, especial younger animals. Goats do seldom recover from listeriosis, just not worth the risk in a small herd. Also if it is mouldy or anything like that, just not as many dangers with hay. If the hay is low in protein (and this year's isn't great) then I would always top up with either readigrass or Alfa-A. I don't run my herd along strict commercial lines, but don't keep any pets, so feed costs are not that important.

Most commercial herds feed haylage and factor listeria losses into their business model. But they go through several large bales per day... 

I do however keep a couple of small bales of Horsehage for absolute emergencies (as it lasts if plastic is not broken), as we do get snowed in every so often and it usually happens on the day I have a scheduled hay pick-up.... :-\ The goats love haylage I have to say....

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2016, 10:18:59 pm »
We all get upset when our animals are unwell , so you dont need to explain yourself about being ' grumpy '
We all strive to do the best by them and thats something you obviously do , after all goaties are very addictive!   :goat: :love:
Hope shes back to normal soon  :thumbsup:

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 10:22:14 am »
Thanks Kelly for being understanding  :D she actually took a piece of horse apple and oat treat from me today, so must be feeling perkier.

Yes Anke they do seem to love it don't they - I shall have to check out the Horsehage from my supplier. We cut our own sileage in small bales so as we're feeding sheep we go through a bale in 2 - 3 days max and I was only giving them a small bowl full twice a day as they seem mad for it, more to give a bit of variation. But I suppose even a small bowl full is dangerous should it have the listeria bug in it  :(

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 12:51:32 pm »
I use to buy small bales of horse haylage with no issues, mine loved it and it helped them keep their weight on.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2016, 09:05:57 pm »
Thanks Shygirl

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS