Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What breed?  (Read 2001 times)

Mrspie

• Joined Feb 2016
What breed?
« on: February 20, 2016, 11:30:12 am »
What is the best breed of cattle to start with on a smallholding?

Is it best to get two heifers with calves at foot and raise the calves for meat?

Or two steers just for meat?

Or to raise to heifers to breed for meat?

Completly new to the world of cattle so any infomation will be ever so helpful!

Thanks 

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
Re: What breed?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 11:47:06 am »
We were new at cattle just last year and had much the same questions as you've asked. In the end we went for 2 in-calf Dexters both about 3 years old so we know they'd calved before. We also looked into Shetland cattle but eventually went for Dexters because we could get them from someone fairly close to us

These are herd animals so you should ideally keep 2 or more but instead of a cow with calf at foot, it made sense to me if they were roughly the same age as well. Our only "mistake" was not going for regularly handled animals but with a good dose of patience and plenty of treats ours are much happier around people now.

They seem quite settled outside all year round and both have now calved successfully with no intervention needed on our part. The latest was only a few days ago and I've only just added a quick post to my blog about the calving if you're interested.

Don't underestimate the cost of additional items like handling equipment (hurdles, crush etc) though.

Good luck for the future, I've got no regrets and they've really got under my skin now!  ;D

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 01:49:58 pm »
With most animals, it is often recommended to start with two castrated males for meat. You won't be tempted to breed from them until you're ready and can buy the best stock for breeding, but will get a good idea of what keeping them involves day to day and the logistics of abattoirs etc. And you will see how your land copes through the winter etc.
Visit a few keepers near you to find what you like, and buying well handled animals usually makes your life easier!
Good luck and enjoy them.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 02:33:55 pm »
Cattle are hard on your ground, so start by thinking about what you are wanting to achieve.

If you just want some meat for the smallholding, and don't have a particular passion for cattle, and don't have unlimited ground, then buying pairs of weaned castrated bullocks might be a good way to go.  You may be able to find a local dairy farm that produces half-beef calves (eg Angus x Friesian) that would do.  It's certainly a good way to start your journey with cattle, as others have said.

If you prefer the idea of wholly-home-grown, so want to ultimately have cows and produce your own calves, then you need to think in terms of at least 2 cows.  (Not only must cattle have company of their own species, but that company must be of their own 'age and stage' too, so one cow with one calf is not kind and is contrary to the Animal Welfare Codes.)

If you are producing meat from your own calves, then you will, at steady state, have 2 cows, 2 yearlings and 2 new calves.  If you go for a slow-maturing type, you may want to keep them to 30 months, so that would add another 2 adults to the picture. 

Depending on your ground, 2 cows plus their followers will need an absolute minimum of 5 acres (7 if you're keeping to 30 months), and double that if you want to grow your own winter forage.  (As opposed to buying it in.)

Winter forage requirements will be of the order of 1/2 small bale hay per adult per day.  You're in Surrey, I see, so your winter won't be as long as ours up here in Cumbria, nonetheless you'll probably need to feed hay for 3-4 months.  So 4 adults x 100 days x 1/2 small bale = 200 small bales.  At £3.50/bale (if you're lucky), £700.

If your ground gets wet it may poach, especially if you are tight on space, so then you would be needing to bring them in for the wettest months.  Add straw to the costs.

So buying in bullocks would reduce the load on the ground, and save the overwintering costs of the cows.  Around here, we can buy decent Hereford x or Angus x calves for around £200 unweaned (1 month old, still needing milk for a couple of months) or £350 weaned.  At 9-10 months old, decent weaned store beasts (usually 3/4 beef or more) are around £600.

Cheaper bullocks would be dairy breeds; Jerseys fetch very little as bullocks, but make wonderful beef, lean dark marbled  :yum:.  You get less meat on the carcase, of course, and butchery costs will be the same whether it's a fully-muscled Hereford or a lean and lanky Jersey.

Just to throw in a curve ball... I see you are also thinking about milking goats.  Have you thought about milking a house cow instead of having goats?  Dexters, Shetlands, Jerseys, Red Devons, amongst others, would make cattle who could rear a calf for you and also supply milk for the house.  If you have the land and really get into cattle, you could also buy in calves to rear on the spare milk; my Jerseys are capable of rearing their own plus 3 or 4 calves each per lactation, as well as giving milk for the house, the lambs, and anything else that needs it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 03:25:32 pm »
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/livestock/cattle/

If you look in the Diary section, and search for cattle, yoy'll see our experiences.

Also www.rosedeanshetlandcattle.scot is our cattle's website (but I maintain it because they have a problem with the keyboard  ;D ) Dianne Yarker. the secretary at the Shetland Cattle Breeders' Association is very helpful and there may be a breeder close by that you can visit. www.shetlandcattle.org.uk

:hugcow: my Shetlands; beat silly old goats any day (just joking)

Mrspie

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 03:57:46 pm »
Thank you all for help and infomation. At the moment im looking into all avenues of of smallholding. Ive only just started with pigs to breed for meat and so far thats not to bad. I think cattle may be a way off yet, as i will probably need a barn to house them in the winter because our land is mostly clay. This winter has been horrendous for mud! So i think adding cows to mix would just make it worse.
Thank you all so much again, im sure i will be posting lots more questions

I will keep you all informed

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS