Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The early waking dog knackers the owner!  (Read 3966 times)

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
The early waking dog knackers the owner!
« on: February 18, 2016, 07:47:53 am »
Every morning over the last 2-3 weeks our 1yr old BT bitch has decided to wake at around 5am  :o  >:(
Initially we thought it was a once off event but sadly not.
We've tried ignoring the cries when she starts but she gets louder and continues.  Once let outside she does pee & poo (as does our other BT).  They are then put back to bed and around 1 hr later she starts again.

Nothing as changed in the dogs routine (meal times, bed time, pre bed toilet breaks etc).
Her last season (which was her first proper one) started back in late Oct and went on for some time.  We are planning on getting her spayed shortly as her 'system' will have recovered from the season (the vets want 3 months after the season before they spay).  Could this return to 'normal' be the reason?

Can anyone shed any light on how this can stop and believe me it has too as I am like a zombie due to the break in sleep  :tired: :tired:

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: The early waking dog knackers the owner!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 08:12:43 am »
Do you have near neighbour's whose habits have changed? Is she being woken by external noises and is taking the view that if other people are awake so should you?!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 08:43:03 am »
Could you have Bryn, CG, for a week? We could do alternate weeks and you'd only be knackered one week in two (as would I). Bryn was up at 12.30, 2.30 and 6am. The cats waken him.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 08:52:35 am »
Can I join in the rota please, my 12 yr old greyhound bitch's bladder wakes us about 2.30 and 5 am.  At the moment it is not too much a problem as I need to check the sheep for lambs but a full nights sleep would be lovely.

Blondie

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 11:43:53 am »
Any chance she is getting cold? could you maybe put a house coat on her and see if it helps?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 12:57:03 pm »
Maybe a trip to the vets to check nothing wrong, probably with a urine sample? Could be a reason she's needing up in the night, urinary infections are not uncommon in young female dogs.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 10:33:07 pm »
Do you have near neighbour's whose habits have changed? Is she being woken by external noises and is taking the view that if other people are awake so should you?!
Sadly no change there.
Any chance she is getting cold?......
Our heating is on full time as we have had issues with damp in the house so she can't be cold plus she ends up sleeping next to our other BT and he is a living radiator  ;D
Could you have Bryn, CG, for a week? We could do alternate weeks and you'd only be knackered one week in two (as would I). Bryn was up at 12.30, 2.30 and 6am. The cats waken him.
Its a lovely offer Rosemary................but no  ;D

I can announce however that this morning she woke at 6am  :excited: Trust me, I was delighted but I also noticed that it was quite dark outside at 6am so it could be early morning break of dawn  ??? 
 :fc: for tomorrow morning.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 12:34:50 pm »
Our late, lamented BT would wake us up too early but our whippets have to be driven from their beds and pushed out of the door at this time of year to piddle on the doorstep (and occasionaly the doormat) to scuttle back to the warm as soon as possible!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 06:11:09 pm »
Our JR goes off every time the owl hoots across the road, if a vixen screams, if a car drives past slowly and if he thinks we've been getting it too easy at night.  he starts with a little wuf then progresses to barks then ends up screaming, with the other one joining in.  No chance of sleeping through that.  Mr F gets up at 5 anyway  ???, so this all happens about 2, and/or 3 and/or 4, plus any other time he feels like it.  I feel he's just taking his guard dog duties a bit too seriously, but I'm ok with that as if there was a fox or badger at the hens, or a prowler, I would definitely want to know.  We usually get back to sleep but not always.....
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 11:57:40 pm »
I have put up blackout blinds in my kitchen where the dogs sleep - life is wonderful again  :excited: :
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 04:59:49 pm »
I have put up blackout blinds in my kitchen where the dogs sleep - life is wonderful again  :excited: :
This could be the next stage. 
We are wondering if the hormones have settled down completely since the last season (its been about 3 months) so the vets has been booked for the spaying next Friday.  We'll see how that sorts her out  ;)
However I am still like a zombie  :tired:

ramon

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 06:28:50 pm »
Devonlady's post made me smile.  I am also a whippet owner.  At this time of year they are definately not early morning dogs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS