Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Pitlochry in search of goats!  (Read 2373 times)

Viequense

• Joined Feb 2016
Hello from Pitlochry in search of goats!
« on: February 17, 2016, 12:58:45 am »
Hello everyone. My name is Julie and I'm an American/Canadian who had been living here a little over a year. I moved here from Oregon, USA where I was helping at an organic goat dairy. I helped take care of the goats, helped with kidding and taking care of sick goats as well as milked. Personally my favourite thing was just to sit with them or take one or two hiking in the woods. Oh the looks we got...and questions. People obviously haven't spent enough time on farms as everyone thought my goat was a pet deer....ummmmm. Anyways, I have been looking for people near me with goats but I haven't found anyone. I would love to help out once In a while and I am also looking for someone to get raw milk from for my pets... Or not raw but organic would be nice too. Anyone know of anyone near me? I would also me willing to help with lambing if there is someone that would teach me. Mostly I just really miss farm life and spending time out with animals. I'm stuck behind a desk all day at my job now.

Thanks and nice to meet everyone.

Julie
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 01:00:56 am by Viequense »

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Hello from Pitlochry in search of goats!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 09:19:43 am »
Hi Julie and welcome to TAS  :wave: I can understand your need to be near goats  ;D  I'm too far away unfortunately but it would probably be worth contacting your nearest goat club to see if they could suggest someone.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 09:30:53 am »
Hi Julie  :wave: I can relate too, they are addictive  :goat: :love:
There are some Angora goats recently on here that are looking for a home ?
If the owner was willing, you could meet somewhere to collect them, lovely  goats, just a thought.
Welcome and good luck !

Viequense

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 11:14:24 am »
Yes I saw the alpacas and goats..wish I had a place for them but I don't even have a permanent place for myself which is why I would rather find someone to help out. Thanks for the welcome. X

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 11:25:01 am »
If you go to the scottish goatkeepers website the secretary is from Perthshire and might be able to help
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 07:28:56 pm »
Hi Viequense - Ok we only have pygmy's but they are goats in miniture which may help your withdrawal - we're over the hill from Pitlochry, on the Blacklunnans side you may like to visit as we have 13 kids at the moment so cuddles are the order of the day :) Sorry no milk as the kids get it all. I do know there is someone not far from here doing dairy goat and making cheese but unfortuantly in the last flood the bridge washed away but they are fixing it so maybe I can get you her details.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 07:37:15 pm »
Hello and welcome to TAS :wave:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 07:56:11 pm »
 :wave: welcome to the site!
I have two goats that I plan to break to harness - but again, I'm too far away, in Angus. Hope you find some closer!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 09:34:44 pm »
 :wave: and welcome. I'm much too far or you could have visited with pleasure. I only have two dairy goats but one is in kid so more to come.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 09:04:07 am »
 :wave:and from North Lincolnshire. I have two golden Guernsey girls in milk but alas too far away from you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS