Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Metal gate posts  (Read 4630 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Metal gate posts
« on: February 16, 2016, 11:56:13 am »
Stupid question time ... ;D

If I wanted to hang some metal field gates using metal gate posts (like the IAE ones) must they be concreted in?

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Metal gate posts
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 12:00:02 pm »
Yes, unless you want them to lean over of course.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 12:11:46 pm »
Even if you back fill the hole with large rocks?

It's just that I have limited space for the posts so wanted to use something as slim as possible, and I wanted to avoid the use of the dreaded concrete :).

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 02:18:37 pm »
Depends how big the gate is a 2' gate would probably be ok but anything approaching a normal field gate size will have too much twisting effect in my opinion.

Metal posts are only about 2m long from memory compared to 3m wooden posts. Can't you get someone to knock a wooden post in (with a tractor post knocker) as it would only be a few inches bigger in diameter?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 02:28:08 pm »
Ahh yeah, twisting, I see what you mean.  Yeah it'll have to be a wooden one then, ho hum :).  Thanks [member=8543]henchard[/member]!

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 05:30:11 pm »
Why the concrete-phobia? A gate post will only take a couple of batches, made up in the bottom of a barrow.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 05:35:35 pm »
Err well, it's not very environmentally friendly and its a right PITA to dig out in the future :).

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 06:10:17 pm »
If you used galvanised steel posts you won't need to dig them out. 

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 06:24:18 pm »
Err well, it's not very environmentally friendly and its a right PITA to dig out in the future :) .

Presumeably, fabricating and galvanising a metal post (as opposed to a wooden one) is not environmentally friendly either  ;)

You can usually get concreted posts out by backing a tractor up, lowering the lift arms either side of the post, string a chain betweeen them and wrap round the post a few times, then lift the arms up with the hydraulics and repeat as necessary!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 10:32:13 pm »
If you use non-hydraulic cement it absorb some of the C02 it produced when being made as it hardening. ;)

farmerg

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 02:42:50 pm »
sorry for the late reply but it might help someone in the future.

wrap a plastic feed bag round the bottom of the metal post and cable tie it before concreting. This allows the post to be pulled out if necessary in the future. I have done this on most gate posts i replaced and i allows for relatively easy replacement or temporary removal for example if you need those few extra inches to get something wide through a tight gateway.   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS