Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buying property in a conservation area  (Read 2399 times)


  • Joined Feb 2016
Buying property in a conservation area
« on: February 16, 2016, 10:37:42 am »
Other than introduction, my first post on TAS  :wave:

We are considering buying a property in a conservation area. Has anyone living within a conservation area had any real issues with what they want to do and what they are allowed to do within The area?
I understand that many things require approval such as cutting trees above a certain diameter etc, For example would a poly tunnel and small animal shelters be accepted?



  • Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Buying property in a conservation area
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 02:40:20 pm »
Think you are better speaking to your planning department - they will have an officer assigned to your area, often such things can be overcome with additional planting of trees and hedging to obscure sheds and the like, but you don't want to rub the existing community up the wrong way - people tend to think that smallholders may be putting old car tyres and bits of carpet everywhere, old clapped out Fergie tractors and the like, sheds made out of old pallets.  Yup that pretty much sounds like 70% of the folk on here.....keeping it real.

Best to find out what you can do and work within the parameters I'd say.  As a smallholder it will be vital (I stress!) to keep in with the locals.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs


  • Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
Re: Buying property in a conservation area
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 10:20:55 pm »
A lot depends on council

Take a look here at  enforcement appeals may give you a insight

Scroll to case type, drop down box, pick "Enforcement Listed Building and Conservation Area Appeals"

Then search


  • Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: Buying property in a conservation area
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 10:15:04 pm »
It all depends on alot of unknown external factors but....

You would need to seek full planning permission to build an animal shelter and the animal shelter would have to be for agricultural use if it was sited on agricultural land. 

You could place a moveable shelter on your land like a pig ark which could be moved around or a small moveable shelter for goats or chickens etc etc - but the animal has to be agricultural - ie not a horse or a dog shelter unless the horse or dog was part of an agricultural activity.

IMO There are more stringent rules on shelters for animals that say perhaps a barn to store machinery or a workshop as you would only have to provide evidence that you wanted a shed (you could of course back it up with an argument that you also need it as well as want it).

If you want a building I would suggest putting in an application for a garage and workshop, dont mention animals ever as it wont help the application unless you have a big business necessity in terms of creating an feasible income.

Many councils also dont allow polytunnels without full planning beit in or out of conservation areas.

We are in a conservation area we have had the normal run-ins with planning but its only been a pain cos the paperwork - never had anything turned down, but had to have certain materials and roofing. etc etc

If you have enough land and agricultural activities you can apply for prior notification planning - which is decided within 28 days of the application, it is also assessed by someone in agriculture and with us outside the remit of the national park. - which was good cos the planner didnt like me, but the assessor did.

I think you need 15 acres and we had to show that we were 'farming' in some sense of the word - and I also needed a shed to repair tractors off the public footpath that runs through our front gate and through the middle of the yard.

I think you are also have your permitted development rights restricted.  ie in a city you can build an extention of a certain size without planning now - you will need planning or to ask if you need planning in a conservation area.

Marches Farmer

  • Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Buying property in a conservation area
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 04:08:51 pm »
Planning department is first port of call.  Also look at the deeds of the property - we once lived in one where it was specifically mentioned we weren't allowed to build a brick kiln in the garden!


  • Joined Jan 2016
Re: Buying property in a conservation area
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 12:32:34 pm »

We bought a year ago in a conservation area.   We have a 8x6 shed (within garden) for the chickens,   and in the paddock area we have 3 more chicken coops,  1 duck house and a field shelter for geese.   Also in paddock area we have a polytunnel. Just had a slab base put down for a large summerhouse.     Neighbours called out the council.  Planning enforcement came out to see us.   Said all was fine and to carry on.   


Planning required for a small shed in conservation area?

Started by Mijbil

Replies: 10
Views: 1719
Last post February 23, 2017, 11:36:55 am
by juliem
Long Term Lease Property Wanted Huntly/Keith area

Started by LeanneR88

Replies: 0
Views: 990
Last post July 21, 2015, 12:37:04 pm
by LeanneR88
property for sale!!

Started by alimac

Replies: 0
Views: 2117
Last post October 18, 2011, 09:25:38 am
by alimac
Mortgage for property with agricultural condition

Started by cuckoo

Replies: 9
Views: 11771
Last post March 17, 2012, 09:39:16 pm
by Red
Charge against property for market garden

Started by WishfulThinker21

Replies: 21
Views: 887
Last post September 21, 2020, 01:32:15 pm
by doganjo

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2020. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS