Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Will a broody hen hatch goose eggs?  (Read 6809 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Will a broody hen hatch goose eggs?
« on: April 25, 2010, 09:44:46 pm »

I have been given 3 goose eggs which could be fertile and was going to put them in the incubator but I have a broody light sussex hen and wondered if it might be worth letting her sit on them.(it would also save me cleaning out the incubator after turkeys)
Anne

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Will a broody hen hatch goose eggs?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 11:26:31 pm »
Hmmm, maybe a tad big for her?   And what about when tehy hatch - will she be able to teach the goosey things or henny things - are they a lot different?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 12:09:02 am »
Years ago this happened.We ended up havng a broody hen sitting on a duck egg amidst her own and he hatched out, was great as a little bub but when he  was bigger he would try to straddle the rest of the brood, so he then was moved from them pretty darn quick.  It may work but be sure when they hatch that they imprint on to you and not the hen :)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 04:27:19 pm »
Around here folk have told me that a hen is a better mother than a duck(less greedy and more protective) so I have been told not to let a duck sit her eggs but use a hen. It does work, a hen watches her ducklings eat but a duck mother will eat her share first etc. A goose egg I would have thought would be too big for a hen and the hen will not be able to supply enough moisure anyway. My geese have hatched ducks(large breed ducks) very successfully.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 07:10:13 pm »
Just as an aside - NEVER let a duck hatch a chicken.  First thing she will do with it is drown it.  The chickens don't know any better and just follow 'Mum'
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 09:34:34 pm »

Have decided to let the hen have a go at hatching the goose eggs, she didn't apear to mind when I put them under her,  also put lots of extra straw in.If it doesn't work it does not really matter as I was given the eggs to eat anyway, so fingers crossed.
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS