Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Need to get my yearling moving forward happily  (Read 3931 times)

Tish tosh

• Joined Apr 2013
Need to get my yearling moving forward happily
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:33:01 am »
Can anyone advise me on leading my yearling? She is quite enthusiastic when we start off, doesn't mind the head collar,but we get a little way out and she slows down and then doesn't want to move. Do I take a soft rope with me and put some pressure round her back end to get her to move forward like I did when she was learning on the head collar or do I do something different? Haven't experienced this before as I had a few youngsters together.
Any advice would be great. Thanks

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Need to get my yearling moving forward happily
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 03:13:15 pm »
I'm guessing that you think she is napping then? Goes so far then looses confidence and wants to go back to the herd? If you are into natural horsemanship you could do some more bonding work to boost her confidence in you and in turn give her the confidence to follow you out of her comfort zone.
[size=78%] [/size]

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 10:24:07 pm »
Pressure/release.  Try her in a halter.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 01:00:19 pm »
If there a calm sensible (and patient) horse/rider that you can go out with? It might help give you both a bit of confidence, especially your mare.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 01:56:45 pm »
been here many times.
try spinning the end of the rope by the flank until she moves forward, then release.in the end she will learn to move forward. sometimes you get a thick skinned pony and the spinning rope needs to upgrade to plastic bag tied to the end of a stick.
sounds daft but its pressure and release and avoids having to start smacking them to move.
its how we training highland ponies to trot up without forcing them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS