Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Raised beds  (Read 2707 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Raised beds
« on: February 15, 2016, 07:27:26 am »
Anyone any tips on what I can use to make raised beds
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

HappyHippy

Re: Raised beds
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 07:43:58 am »
I made some a couple of years ago using scaffold boards (too skint to afford railway sleepers  ;)) Mine are 2 high, giving an overall height of approx 16" and holding up well.
HTH

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 08:58:13 am »
Try freecycle it's amazing what people want to get rid of

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 09:40:22 am »
I am a scavenger so when I passed a building project where they were putting a extension up I asked the site manager if I could take away the old rafters he was piling up from the old building.
Got Loads of 4 metre lengths of untreated rafters of about 250 x 100  size & saved them from a bonfire.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 03:58:31 pm »
I went to our local saw mill and bought 4m long planks along with 3ft pegs/stakes for the corner supports.
All the wood all came treated and once built before filling them up I lined them with high gauge black plastic.
It was a lot cheaper than going to B&Q and the likes, it supported a local business and for me it was quicker than having to scavenge/look about etc. 

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 09:18:24 pm »
We used mortared in red engineering bricks .. it's worked very well for me.  They are 900 mm high on the high outer sides which is ideal for me and a bust up back etc.

T'was fairly expensive , but should last me out by many years , It's part of the whole garden landscape exercise .. Done by a dam good builder who really enjoyed doing something different & interesting .
 Due to each wall being laid on a foot thick x a foot wide concrete foundations , in the middle of each bed  there is a natural drainage hole .  I also got the builder to put weep holes in the outside walls at every mid point of the beds lowest course of h bricks .

All the divider walling is keyed in brick work which adds to the strength tremendously .
 They are filled with a home made soil less growth medium which is the best stuff for growing plants I've ever come across .

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 09:38:08 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 09:30:23 pm »
I have got wooden structures that can make a box, am delighted with them, and I got them for free so even better. Will post photos when I get organised.  :excited:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS