Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can't find second lamv  (Read 3981 times)

elizasheep

• Joined Oct 2010
can't find second lamv
« on: February 14, 2016, 11:10:06 am »
hello, big problem, can you help?
We have 7 years lambing experience, including difficult births, badly presented lambs etc, so we know what to expect. Anyway.... Ewe scanned for twins, 1st lamb came out quickly and easily and is healthy. Second water bag came out after an hour, but no sign of a lamb followed it. The ewe was obviously expecting another one. We can't feel another lamb in there. No chance of a vet for a few hours at least, by which time we might have lost her if there is a dead lamb in there somewhere. Could the scanner and the ewe both be mistaken? Seems unlikely. She has given up trying for the moment, and wants her dinner. Any thoughts.

A bit later ...   Second lot of after birth has now appeared. Ewe looks a bit miserable, but not poorly. Maybe she's just exhausted. I think we will have to wait for the vet and hope for the best.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 12:11:13 pm by elizasheep »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: can't find second lamv
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 11:30:30 am »
Well there isn't much you can do.... if there's no 2nd lamb there's no2nd  lamb. If you have been inside her a shot of AB's Betamox LA) is all that's needed and all the vet would be able to do at this moment anyway. I would watch for afterbirth and monitor her. Scanners do get it wrong sometimes.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 11:53:45 am »
Why would there be a second bag if theres no lamb?  Have you  examined here with her front end supported on a bale? Is she a very roomy ewe?
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

elizasheep

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 12:34:18 pm »
We haven't tried to examine her with her front on a bale yet, I'm letting her rest for half an hour. She isn't particularly roomy. It's her second lambing btw. Will update later, thanks for the replies. No wifi in barn, so please excuse delayed reply.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 02:53:12 pm »
Stupid question really - has the ewe been in a pen from the start?  ie No chance that she has dropped in a field before bringing her in?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 03:07:13 pm »
Depending on how early in the pregnancy the ewe was scanned she may have reabsorbed the second lamb if it wasn't viable for some reason.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 03:24:04 pm »
wouldn't the bag also have been re-absorbed?
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 04:05:06 pm »
Sometimes the other lamb will be in the other horn of the uterus, and if there is a twist it can be hard to feel or expel. Can you feel something hard if you "bump" her belly with your hand, and can you feel your hand inside through the body wall? If you feel something hard in the belly it is likely the second lamb. If you can't feel your internal hand from the outside there is likely another lamb in the way.
Hopefully your vet will be able to help. If the lamb is still alive inside, it is unlikely to die from being left a few hours, as it will still have its umbilical oxygen and nutrients supply. If it is dead inside, it is unlikely to make the ewe that ill within a few hours either, so it should be ok waiting for the vet.
Did you have a thorough look at the afterbirths? If the scanner scanned twins, it is unlikely the second lamb (if it has died and become mummified) would be small enough within the after birth to miss, but could be worth checking for thickened creamy or whitish bits as sometimes you can have a small mummified foetus passed.

elizasheep

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 07:10:15 pm »
Hello all and sorry for the late reply. Lambing has been a bit hectic. Thanks very much for all of your suggestions. Fsmnutter was partially right, the 2nd lamb was originally  in one of the horns, but had broken through into the body cavity. It took 2 vets over an hour to find it. The more experienced vet said that she had never seen anything like it. It had been dead for some time, and the ewe had to be put to sleep. I am amazed that she was so bright and cheerful up until she lambed, and continued to eat and drink as normal afterwards. She just looked a little uncomfortable. Never ceases to amaze me how stoic they are. So I have an orphan Annie to feed for the time being. I'm glad that we took the ewe to the vet so quickly. Thanks again.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 07:42:17 pm »
Oh, a sad outcome for the ewe - but very well done realising something was wrong and getting her seen quickly.  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 08:13:18 pm »
Ah I am so sorry to hear that; :hug: I am glad that you did what was best for the ewe. On the plus side though at  least you have gotten a ewe lamb out of her, so in a way her legacy lives on in the flock. All the best and keep us updated on how everything goes? :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 08:48:44 pm »
I am sorry for the loss of your ewe but glad of your educating post - hope little Anne is a fighter like her mum  :fc:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS