Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: meds and pregnant sheep  (Read 2630 times)

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
meds and pregnant sheep
« on: February 12, 2016, 12:17:12 pm »
Quick question: is it ok to give alymycin and/or metacam to ewes who are three months pregnant?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: meds and pregnant sheep
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 02:37:26 pm »
 I would suggest you google it for yourself and decide if the benefits exceed the slight risks. Quicker also where possibly you have an animal in pain, and a forum may only give you a range of opinions  when what you actually need are facts.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 02:50:38 pm »
Alamycin - yes.  Metacam - dunno.

With pregnant sheep you just need to be careful when handling them. Keep stress to the absolute minimum.  And I'm assuming they have some problem with them that requires the use of antibiotics? ;)

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 04:56:41 pm »
Thanks - yes, do need treatment (or hope I haven't got an ovine variant of munchausen's by proxy.... :roflanim:)
Can't google for info re metacam since it's not actually licensed for sheep.
Have spoken to vet now (don't worry! I don't rely only on forum when actually need to act quite quickly...) and ok to use pain killer - in fact, a good thing to act to reduce her pain.....

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 07:05:01 pm »
It does actually mention on google that trials have been done for meloxicam (metacam) on animals and there is a slight risk to the foetus. However, if the animal is in pain, I would use it also.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS