Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding chicks  (Read 1977 times)

pedigree porker

• Joined Feb 2010
Feeding chicks
« on: April 25, 2010, 08:44:59 pm »
We have a broody sitting on a mixture of eggs, due to hatch next sunday. We are hoping to get them back outdoors ASAP, but are wondering about the type of food to offer the chicks? 

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Feeding chicks
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 08:50:06 pm »
we've fed chick crumbs to both our ducks and meat chickens - all doing well

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 09:04:18 pm »
Chickcrumbs from your feedshop are fine for the first few weeks, then showly intergrate growers pellets as they increase in size for the chooks, as for the ducks i wouldn't haven't clue

Hardfeather

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 09:58:14 pm »
I collect bags of damp leaf mould out of hollows and ditches in the bottom of the beech woods near us, and I fill an indoor pen to about six inches deep. The hen and chicks go in there about 24 hours after hatching, and about twenty four hours after the pen is set up. The hen scratches through the mould and the chicks get a good start on live food. After that they get chick crumbs and regular top ups of leaf mould till they are about three weeks old (weather suiting) and then they go outside to free range.

My hens are very active. This method may not suit all breeds.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS