Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Putting gate in stock fence  (Read 3055 times)

edstrong

• Joined Jun 2015
Putting gate in stock fence
« on: February 10, 2016, 08:30:20 pm »
How hard is it to put a standard field gate into an existing stock fence? I'd be getting the firm to do it who put the fence in but could do with knowing in advance how difficult it would be. Can the barbed wire be cut and retightened or would it all need replacing? Ta.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Putting gate in stock fence
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 09:02:07 pm »
It can be cut and re tensioned. They may need introduce a couple of straining posts in addition to the gate posts in order to keep it strong and sturdy. Its not a problem to do though.

edstrong

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 08:57:00 am »
That's great thanks. I realise straining posts need to be put in either side of the fence posts, but good news that it could be done reasonably easily. My fault for not putting the gate in in the first place but I never thought I'd be buying the 5 acres behind my field!

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 02:17:26 pm »
Well things change ed,

we cant future proof everything...though heaven knows I try!

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 11:02:38 pm »
The only potential complication I could see would be if the fence runs along a slope, then that can make it difficult to add a gate because obviously the gate has to be horizontal. Can be solved easily enough by a dog-leg in the fence.

edstrong

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 06:13:36 pm »
Fortunately my fence is more or less flat so this shouldn't be a problem.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS