Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Black Pudding  (Read 8740 times)

YorkshireSmallholder

• Joined Jun 2008
  • East Yorkshire
Black Pudding
« on: June 26, 2008, 12:30:54 pm »
Perhaps one for the recipe section but has anybody tried making black pudding from their pigs blood. I've found a few recipes in books, on the net etc but has anyone got any practical advice, tips or tried & trusted recipes?

First pigs are due for slaughter in a few weeks & getting a bit anxious/nervous. We want to try & use everything we can & give the wee young fellas the respect they deserve.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Black Pudding
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 07:56:02 pm »
Our abattoir won't give us the blood, which is a pity 'cos I love black pudding.

YorkshireSmallholder

• Joined Jun 2008
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 08:22:22 am »
Have you asked why not Rosemary? As far as i'm aware you're well within your rights to ask for it.

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 09:05:45 am »
A large amount of abbatoirs are now obliged to put an anti-coagulent into blood to comply with EU laws on disposal. If they do this you can not use the blood for human consumption.If you require blood to make black pudding etc it would be best to check with your abbatoir first. In my experience small abbatoirs tend to be able to still provide blood when requested.

YorkshireSmallholder

• Joined Jun 2008
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 01:15:11 pm »
Just checked with our local abbatoir & the bloods a no-goer. Gutted, all the blood is collected and incinerated. I'm pretty sure if i pushed they'd let me collect it from the individual pigs but they probably don't want to encourage the influx of smallholders waiting around the bleeding area with buckets! Black pudding's off the menu then - never mind i'm sure i'll have enough on my plate (no pun intended).

Jayhawk

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Duns
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 08:05:38 pm »
Repulsive stuff :) Can't for the life of me think why anyone would want it, let alone want to make their own. However, if you are insistant, kill your own animal yourself, at home. Collect the blood and off you go. Then jump through all the legislative hoops to do with disposal and who can eat the produce. Depends on where you are and the interpretation of the poor person on the end of the phone ;D
Old age is a privilege denied to too many

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 10:39:48 pm »
if you still want to make Black pudding it is possible to buy dried blood or a seasoning mix from sausage supply companies and use the fat from your own pigs. I can let you know the numbers of various companies if you like

YorkshireSmallholder

• Joined Jun 2008
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 12:29:59 pm »
Black pudding - delicious with just about everything, poached egg, black pudding & bacon salad in summer, goes well with all game, scallops & BP, and no english breakfast is complete without a nice fried slice - repulsive - never.

Thanks Andrew - i may take you up on that in future - i did like the idea of using my own pigs blood though.

7 days to go - just hope my ear tags arrive in time!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS